Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

ruizv17, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

What can we do about falsified receipts from seller?

Asked by ruizv17, Philadelphia, PA Sun Sep 16, 2012

We are in the process of purchasing a home and close in 5 days. The seller agreed to have a lincensed contractor do work on the electric and roof. They later produced receipts that were found out to be falsified. When confronted with the false receipts they later produced a letter saying the work was inspected by a licensed contractor. What can we do now?

Help the community by answering this question:


Sheri Curci’s answer
Re-inspect with your contractor at time of walk thru to confirm if work was done properly.

I suggest that your Agent do the walk trhu with you so you can work it out at the Settlement table.

Was the repairs needed to be certified according to you Mtg commitment? ??

If so ...... have your Mtg Call it and you have some wiggle room to help yourself.

All the best J C
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
I would contact an attorney that specializes in real estate.Contact the attorney tomorrow .You need to have your rights protected & I feel this is above something an agent should be dealing with.
Don Sherman SRES
Century21 Advantage Gold -Castor
-Email realtor94@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
What do you want the outcome to be?
Do you still want the house?
Are you looking for a cause to exit the purchase contract?
Are you suspecting the corrections have not been made?
Does the falsified receipts make you want to exit the contract?
Do you possess fully executed documents that will allow your position to prevail?
With only five days to closing, time may be an issue for you.
You may want to consider having YOUR original inspector take a look at the repairs to determine if the significant issue(s) shown on the report have been corrected. IF your inspector is a professional and not a drama instigator, you may find a path to equitable resolution.
Since there is no mention of professional representation for either the buyer or seller, you have placed yourself with basically one option. Do you want the house or does this transgression supersede your desire to purchase? You may still have a choice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
This also happened to clients of mine in Phila. I wonder if it is the same people. Ask for a mediation and get them to pay for the entire cost. Them you want them to agree to pay licensed professionals that you choose to inspect the work andale any necessary corrections. If you have an FHA loan you could also report it to your lender as this is a form of mortgage fraud

Good luck and let me know if you need any other help with this. Don't be afraid to go after these people-they of possibly be defined as criminals.

Carol Cei, Realtor
ReMax platinum club
ReMax hall of Fame
ReMax action realty
Web Reference: http://Www.carolcei.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
If you are being represented by a Real Estate agent you may want to ask them to involve their Broker or office manager for an answer on how they would handle this situation. Otherwise, my suggestion to you is to request that the seller at the sellers expense provide you with a roof warranty from a licensed and insured company of your choosing prior to settlement. As far as the electric, you may want to have someone whom you select confirm that the work has been done correctly but also at the sellers expense.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Talk to your agent ASAP. They are there to guide you. I would personally recommend discussing your situation with an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer