Home Buying in Excelsior>Question Details

Hallie, Home Buyer in San Leandro, CA

What can anyone tell me about the Excelsior district, the western portion in particular. Good buy? Culture?

Asked by Hallie, San Leandro, CA Fri May 2, 2008

Answers

3
Rae’s answer
I love this neighborhood and my neighbors. I've lived in the Excelsior Heights for over 20 years -- wonderful neighbors, quiet neighborhood and great views. Two of the popular films were filmed in this neighborhood. One was "Princess Diaries" starring Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews and the other was "Milk" starring Sean Penn.
It's great. I've lived here eight years.

All walks of life. Old, young, black, white, gay, straight, immigrant, native, wealthy, not-so-wealthy. You name it! The only people we have a shortage of are stuck-up people (nobody stuck up will feel very good here:)).

Crime seems low. I don't really know the statistics, but sometimes you hear about a gang-related offense. There is lots of graffiti, but seems to be under control to some extent, especially as the Mission / Geneva intersection / corridor or whatever it's called is going through some sort of revitalization.

Overall it's a good buy because lots of "homeowners" who couldn't really afford it are being flushed out, and making room for people who aren't looking for the next house to flip - which was rampant since even before I moved here.

It has a long ways to go to be, in my opinion, NICE. But I think it's been headed in that direction.

Oh, I wouldn't buy here if you have kids (don't think the gang problem is under control, enough). It's just my opinion, though. At least not until the schools improve a bit more, or unless you plan to send them to a private school. I think it's best for single people or a couple who is just getting started.

It's very central. So you can get to the peninsula or anywhere in the city pretty easily. Public transit is great because we have two BART stations on either end, as well as MUNI.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 17, 2008
Western portion is the area from say Persia to Geneva?
The Excelsior was largely working class Italian and Irish after the WWII till about 1970 then many of them moved down the peninsula and rented the homes. Now majority Hispanic with large groups of Philipino and other Asian. But by no means is it monocultural. Many young professionals have moved in in the past 5 years. Many single family homes some very well kept up and some not so well kept up. One of the largest populations of homeowners in the City but still very progressive in politics. Supervisor Geraldo Sandoval will be termed out and a new Supervisor will be elected. Two leading candidates are an aide to Chris Daly and a Gavin Newsom staff person.
Many very nice houses and the prices are good still.
Web Reference: http://www.jedlane.com
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA