Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Trulia Atlan…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

What can an agent do, that buyers cannot do for themselves?

Asked by Trulia Atlanta, Atlanta, GA Wed Apr 3, 2013

Answers

11
Solomon Greene’s answer
When representing themselves, absolutely nothing. A license is required when a person attempts to represent another party in a given transaction in which they are not a principal. So good luck...

• Finding a lender who will work with you and respond in a timely manner
• Understanding Fair Housing and appropriate industry behavior
• Finding a property that is acceptable to both the lender and you
• Figuring the estimated mortgage payments
• Working with a listing agent as an unrepresented buyer
• Understanding what buyer rights / responsibilities are and are not in the various offer documents
• Placing an acceptable offer/bid and understanding offer implications
• Amending a contract
• Getting back your earnest money if the transaction does not close
• Getting safely to the closing table

All my best for a successful home search.

Solomon Greene
Georgia Real Estate Brokers Associate, REALTOR®, Certified Affordable Housing Counselor
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
(678) 775-2677
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 4, 2013
I will let my clients answer that question through my zillow reviews:

http://www.zillow.com/profile/AtlSells/

Let me know if I can help!

Thanks!

When it comes to buying or selling real estate, you need an agent with the right experience. My 18+ years of know-how has benefited thousands – I would love to do the same for you! So when the time comes for you to consider a Realtor, I only ask for the opportunity to earn your business.

Search the Multiple Listing Service like an Agent http://www.atlsells.com

2012 Statistics
$17.8 million in Transactions
Average Days on Market - 13.44
List Price to Sales Price Ratio - 97.33%
184 Homes Sold

Justin Seeby
Justin Seeby & Associates
Associate Broker, Keller Williams Realty Intown
Accredited Buyer’s Agent (ABR)
Broker Price Opinion Resource Designation (BPOR)
Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist (CLHMS)
Agent Leadership Councel (ALC)
Justin@atlsells.com

Thanks!

Justin

Justin Seeby ABR, CLHMS, BPOR, ALC
Justin Seeby & Associates
Associate Broker - Keller Williams Intown Atlanta
Top 30 in Sales South East Region KW International 2012
404.564.2630 direct
http://www.ATLsells.com
Justin@ATLsells.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 3, 2013
agents can connect buyers & sellers with experts they may not have other wise had access to. also for buyers their could be a market of houses out there or options for ones specific needs that one may not have known was available to them. For sellers their are endless marketing possibilities that an agent could expose their property to. Their are negotiations, bids for properties, clear understanding of contracts. Agents provide a peace of mind & comfort to their client which allows them less stress knowing that their agent has their best interest at heart.

Kaylane Peters
Coldwell Banker South Gwinnett
kaylanepeters@hotmail.com
404-907-0798
licensed in Ga. & La.
Instead, you might ask yourself: What can a plumber, attorney, accountant, mechanic, inspector, dentist, or any type profession does, that I cannot do for myself? It takes education and experience in any professional to become knowledgeable in that particular profession. Why would you take the chance to do it yourself, when you are buying one of the most expensive items in your life?
In the majority of cases, the sellers pay commission so our services are essentially FREE to the buyers. There are so many ways for things to go wrong with a transaction it would be impossible to list them all. An experienced agent will help you avoid the many pitfalls involved with a home purchase, provide guidance in the constructing the offer & negotiation expertise. Since an agent's help can only save you time & money and the service is free, why not ask for an expert's help? We all have our strengths & an agent's strengths are getting the deals to closing table.
There are things that a Realtor can help you with that make the purchasing process easier and safer. My skill comes from 23 years of experience. There are things that can go very wrong. My job would be to make the purchase a pleasant experience with no hidden worries and besides it cost you nothing to have someone in your corner however the service that we provide can be priceless!

Michelle Gumeny
Prudential Georgia Realty
" THE REALTOR THAT GETS YOU MOVIN "
Mgumeny@prudentialga.com
That depends on the buyer, doesn't it?

It also depends on the agent.

There are a few 100% "agent only" tasks that require registration with certain entities like HUD and FNMA - no direct buys are enabled.

Otherwise, distinguishing between what "an agent" can do and what I can do with my level of hyperlocal skill, subject matter expertise and fiduciary knowhow are quite different than what "a buyer" can do for themselves...
There are probably a few things, but that's not why buyers enlist agents.
If you pull your own teeth instead of going to the dentist than you should sell or buy your home yourself.
someone who made that mistake once said to me the next time they bought, "you don't know what you don't know."
You’ll have an expert to guide you through the process. Buying or selling a home usually requires disclosure forms, inspection reports, mortgage documents, insurance policies, deeds, and multi-page settlement statements. A knowledgeable expert will help you prepare the best deal, and avoid delays or costly mistakes.

Get objective information and opinions. Real estate agents can provide local community information on utilities, zoning, schools, and more. They’ll also be able to provide objective information about each property. A professional will be able to help you answer these two important questions: Will the property provide the environment I want for a home or investment? Second, will the property have resale value when I am ready to sell?

Find the best property out there. Sometimes the property you are seeking is available but not actively advertised in the market, and it will take some investigation by your agent to find all available properties.

Benefit from their negotiating experience. There are many negotiating factors, including but not limited to price, financing, terms, date of possession, and inclusion or exclusion of repairs, furnishings, or equipment. In addition, the purchase agreement should provide a period of time for you to complete appropriate inspections and investigations of the property before you are bound to complete the purchase. Your agent can advise you as to which investigations and inspections are recommended or required.

Property marketing power. Real estate doesn’t sell due to advertising alone. In fact, a large share of real estate sales comes as the result of a practitioner’s contacts through previous clients, referrals, friends, and family. When a property is marketed with the help of a real estate agent, you do not have to allow strangers into your home. Your agent will generally prescreen and accompany qualified prospects through your property.

Real estate has its own language. If you don’t know a CMA from a PUD, you can understand why it’s important to work with a professional who is immersed in the industry and knows the real estate language.

Real estate agents have done it before. Most people buy and sell only a few homes in a lifetime, usually with quite a few years in between each purchase. And even if you’ve done it before, laws and regulations change. Real estate agents, on the other hand, handle hundreds of real estate transactions over the course of their career. Having an expert on your side is critical.

Buying and selling is emotional. A home often symbolizes family, rest, and security — it’s not just four walls and a roof. Because of this, home buying and selling can be an emotional undertaking. And for most people, a home is the biggest purchase they’ll ever make. Having a concerned, but objective, third party helps you stay focused on both the emotional and financial issues most important to you.

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663
http://fredyancy.crye-leike.com