Home Buying in Phoenix>Question Details

Trulia Phoen…, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

What can an agent do that a homebuyer cannot?

Asked by Trulia Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ Mon Apr 8, 2013

Answers

9
Your question is similar to asking "What can a doctor do that a patient cannot?" It is not a matter of can you or can you not, but a matter of should you or should you not. What small amount you MAY save is not worth the risk and headaches if anything goes wrong. I would never trust a novice to handle thousands or tens of thousands of my money.

Too many people went with the advice and assistance of ameteurs and we are still working to get out of the mess. Find a qualified, full-time professional who can help you and spend the money to make it a clean and complete transaction.
Close on 6 homes a month. Seriously, you need a ton of experience to know all the many thousands of unexpected things that can come up in a real estate transaction.
I think the biggest problem for a buyer is that you don't know what you don't know, so how can you compare against a seasoned professional who is required to undergo continued education?

*Negotiation experience
*Contract Language and Interpretation
*Case Law
*Rights vs Expectation
*Disclosure and Ethics
*How to handle Due Diligence

The buyer is not currently responsible for paying their buyer's representative and are unknowingly putting themselves at legal risk. When you make a hiring decision based on who can let you in the front door first. That is not a hiring strategy. Buyers need to understand why they hire an agent before they start the showing process. I see it everyday.

Not all agents are equal and like any profession some are simply better at there work. How to hire an extraordinary Realtor is where a buyer should do their homework. Then let the professional guide you.

http://www.trulia.com/profile/GeorginaDalton/#__rec see what others are saying about me.
Home "buyer" ? This question is very vague to me (from the folks at Trulia). Why not be more specific Trulia?
psst sammy - read the reply I left under your response
dear reader, i really like your question... let me first say that selling your house without a realtor is like going to court without a lawyer. here's why:

we know real estate law, most people don't
we know what to disclose, most people don't
we know how to interpret a purchase contract, most people don't
we know all loan types, most people don't
we know how to value real estate, most people don't
we know about getting qualified, most people don't
we know the market, most people assume they know
we have access to the mls, people don't... period!
we have contacts, affiliates and much more resources, most people don't...

all in all, we're professionals who been in the business a while,

call me and we can interview each other to see if we're a good fit.

sammy hernandez, realtor
clients first realty, llc
(602) 622.0703 c.
sammydhernandez@yahoo.com
yikes!! i didn't realize that... too funny. you're right, i totally overlooked that, good looking out :)
Flag Mon Apr 8, 2013
Sammy, take a look at the question......see the box to the left of the question? It says TRULIA.
Trulia posted this question, NOT a consumer. So........You just asked trulia to "call me and we can interview each other"..........Trulia is asking questions to sitr up conversation, but I feel it sets up agents like you who answer without realizing they are responding to a corporation NOT a live person!
Flag Mon Apr 8, 2013
There are currently 16,103 active listings in the Arizona Regional Multiple listing service. As a Realtor, I have access to specific details about every one of these homes and can show you all of them! A buyer does not have access to this information and would it would take a buyer much less time to contact a Realtor and have them do the work of sorting through all those listings to find the perfect home for them.
Can many people represent themselves in a court of law? No. Do some of them try anyway? Yes, usually with disastrous results.

When you want the biggest financial transaction of your life done right, hire a professional. It is that simple.

Ann Griffin
anngmesa@gmail.com
480-789-9584

PS: and I agree completely with my colleagues' comments.
Korene made some great points. Additionally REALTORs' have education and experience that most people will not have. They should know how to negotiate more effectively, and have the knowledge about the current market. REALTORs also have tools that home buyers do not have access to (ARMLS, E-Sign, Lock box access, private information).