Home Buying in Elk River>Question Details

Brandie, Home Buyer in Monticello, MN

What can I do with river property? If I bought a home that is on the Mississippi River but the house is

Asked by Brandie, Monticello, MN Thu Jun 5, 2008

situated high above the water with a steep slope to the river is there anything I can do to enjoy the river? For example, can I put in stairs down the slope and cut out a small landing at the bottom? Or can I put a small floating dock in the water? The house is in Elk River, MN. Any and all information on this type of subject would be greatly appreciated.

Help the community by answering this question:


From the City of Elk River website: "If you are planning any alteration to your lake or river lot, contact the Environmental Division at 763.635.1000." They don't specify too much on what can and can't be done, so I'm guessing they take most of it on a case by case basis. Here's the webpage I was looking on: http://www.ci.elk-river.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC…
Also, here's the link to the DNR website, which will regulate anything under the normal high water line:
Web Reference: http://donedam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008
River and lake frontage will be subject to DNR and/or city restrictions, so it is best to go to your city hall and talk to them and they can tell you who to talk to.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer