Home Buying in Pennsauken>Question Details

Standard545, Real Estate Pro in Pennsauken, NJ

What can I do to build my credit back up? I have a regular credit card, a store charge card and I was thinking to open up a secure charge card for

Asked by Standard545, Pennsauken, NJ Sun Jan 12, 2014

$300 and just have 3 cards at the max. I'm also looking to buy a house within a year but my income is only 20k. I was looking for houses around the 80k range but its not too many in the counties I have looked at? Should I wait until I'm finish school or look into a second part time job?

Answers

3
Register on credit karma, they will show your current score and you can use there tips to improve score.Its free and there is no catch.

NJ could be bad choice for buying house with 20k income(there property tax is huge so you me not get qualify for most of property) try NY or PA.
First you should not open or close any new accounts. Get your balances below half of your credit limit to boost your scores and most important pay on time. Call a local and trusted loan officer, tell then your goal and time table and they should help you with what steps you should take to start saving as well.
A good credit score is more then just having open lines of credit. One of the most important things you can do to improve your credit is making sure you always pay your bills on time, keeping debt to credit ratios low ( basically keeping your credit card balance low compared to your credit limits). Do you have a copy if your credit score and report? If not get one. Review the report line by line and make sure you address any negative issues on your report. If you do all this it will help raise your score. I will let you know it won't happen over night. While damage to your credit can happen quickly, fixing it can take some time. Don't get discouraged and just keep working at it. It will change with time if you do the things I mentioned before. I would also consult a mortgage person who can evaluate your income and give you an idea of what you can afford. If you are still in school you may not want to take on a second job. Your education should come first at this point. You might want to wait until you graduate before you purchase a home but if your close to graduating it might be a good time to see what's out there. My email address is chrivnak@weichert.com. Send me an email if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to answer them.