Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Jackie, Both Buyer and Seller in Chicago, IL

What can I do if the HOA refuses to release the bylaws?

Asked by Jackie, Chicago, IL Tue Apr 15, 2014

We have tried several times & asked all the people living in the building. My closing date has been pushed back two times already. Each time it costs me approximately $1200. What can I do to solve this problem?

Answers

6
If there is a management company for the building, they can provide them. If not the condo board should do so. Your real estate attorney should be on this issue for you.
The seller has to provided those docs , if they dont the question is ????? WHY ?
Providing the CC&R's and bylaws is typically a seller responsibility, but one that they rely upon the HOA to help execute. Two things to consider -- these are typically recorded with the county and you can access them there. Your title company may be able to assist you with that. Ask your Realtor to check with them. The other thing to consider is whether you wish to purchase in a building where the HOA is so difficult to deal with.
They are recorded with Cook County and you can purchase them online for about $5.00
The SELLLER (not the HOA) is obligated to provide you these documents.

You may need to look for another place to buy.
Meanwhile. your attorney can bring to bear upon the SELLER the cost of non-performance.
Camron,

Have your attorney handle this. I am sure the contract states the seller must provide bylaws within a certain number of days after contract acceptance. Condo associations can be big headaches sometime! Best of luck!

Juan