Home Buying in Rockville>Question Details

Ashley.covin…, Home Buyer in Silver Spring, MD

What areas should my husband and I consider to buy single family home, that will keep a commute time under an hour besides rockville?

Asked by Ashley.covington, Silver Spring, MD Fri Aug 31, 2012

I'm just not seeing what I am looking for in the rockville area-or some of the more familiar areas like arlington, bethesda (So busy!)-but some place where the dollar stretches further-Id like a yard, family friendly, and not be too far from DC where my husband works... I dont want cookie cutter looking for charm, a yard where I dont look right into my neighbors window-any suggestions? Open to areas with Marc train access

Answers

13
Sunita Trehan’s answer
Compare to Arlington, Vienna is very close to DC but the prices are much higher due to closeness to Tyson's Corner and taxes are also higher.

Rockville 20850 zip code area is close to DC, Bethesda, and Tysons Corner area too. Some areas such as Glen Hills are old areas with big lots -from 3/4 acres to several acres. It has one of the best schools in the area and has very professional population. It is very private and secluded area. Very desirable for young professional family.

I am NOT a buyer, I own a few properties in this area.
I am going to list my house soon in Glen Hills area of Rockville. We do not have any cookie cutter houses. If you want I will try to send pictures. The house is listed on Zillow also under "make me move" section. sunitatrehan@yahoo.com
I have a house and a lot in Rockville - close to Shady Grove hospital, Bio-tech center, NIH and downtown Rockville. I am talkibng to three builders also to construct a new home on 50'x246' deep lot that has access from front as well as from back alley. I have a house in City of Rockville too. I want to sell both properties. Lot and the hous is side by side. The three level Craftsman style house is original 1950s with huge detached double car garage with walkout finished basement -total 6 bedrooms and three baths. Very reasonable price of $795,000! You can not beat the price for two properties for the price of one. Contact me @sunitatrehan@yahoo.com

A large lot (12000sf) for the price of (compare to) 6000-7000sf with option to use back ally entrance lots , City's active lifestyle, Entertainment for whole family-Theaters, restaurants, library, weekly live entertainment and annual wine tasting and other festivals, community swimming pool, park and playground, short walk to downtown Rockville, government offices, transportaion to Shady Grove Hospital, Universities at Shady Grove, Bio-tech companies. Easy access to Rt. 270, Metro and local transportation and attach the map showing 270 and other locations.
You may want to consider Takoma Park
Kensington is nice as area to consider.
Hi Ashley,

It depends where the hour starts. By that I mean, where in D.C. does he work. My wife works in D.C., and we live in Ellicott City. It used to be 45 minutes each way, now it is 90. I always tell people to just plan on 5 minutes more per year. You could probably go as far North as Columbia, MD and be an hour from D.C., definitely Burtonsville, Laurel, etc. Also, you should look in Derwood. Please let me know if you are interested in coming North of D.C. since that is the area we handle. Good luck!
Hi Ashley,
If you're looking for a nice single-family in an established neighboorhood, I would suggest Olney, Upper Silver Spring (Northern-most end). If you'd like to get more home for your money I'd suggest Frederick, MD. There are trains and a multitude of alternative transportation (Special Buses, commuter pools, etc). Frederick is becoming a hot-spot and the prices are still a lot lower than Rockville and the surrounding areas.

The most important question would be 'How much are you looking to spend on a home & how much home would you like'.

If you'd like to discuss this or any other issues, please feel free to contact me. I'm available from 9am-9pm 7 days a week.

Karen Ellen Herron, Realtor
100 Percent Realtors, LLC
Rockville, MD
301-538-3586
Karen, I have a house and a lot in the City. Bring offers! I am not listing the house yet because I am trying to get the tenant out and then I will fix it up and list the house or hause and lot both. They are side by side with backalley entrance too!
Flag Mon Oct 29, 2012
There is a Marc train station on Main Street in Laurel, right on the Howard County line. There's just about every price range, style and size home within easy driving distance to the station. Homes are available from under 100k in Laurel City (urban) to almost the sky's the limit in Fulton (rural) not too far away. Also, if you choose to drive and depending on which area of DC you commute to, it's central to many commuter routes (295, 95, 29 and Rt 1 in a pinch.) Laurel touches all 4 central counties: Howard, Montgomery, PG and Anne Arundel, so you could lean toward one side or another.
Try http://www.picketreport.com for narrowing down your area of preference.
Not sure what your price range is, but check out Hammond Village. Sounds like it might be just what you are looking for. If you like what you see, give me a call.
Best of luck,
-T
http://activerain.com/tsheaffer
Hi Ashley,

there are a lot great neighborhoods in the area. Annapolis, Bowie, Laurel, Beltsville, Ellicot City, Odenton, Fulton, Cheverly, Silver Spring, Takoma Park and many more. how big of SFH are you looking in terms of yard space and house?
Hi Ashley, the communities in close-in Silver Spring generally have a smaller yard. You might want to look into the 20905 and 20906 zip-codes or a bit further north such as Olney and Brookeville. Perhaps the Metro's Red Line would be a good option for your husband, too - it runs along Georgia Ave into Wheaton and is within reasonable distance of the above-mentioned communities (the public parking garages do have a wait list however)

I'm not a fan of cookie-cutter homes either - but thankfully, Silver Spring has plenty of subdivisions full of charm.

Good luck with your home search! If I can be of assistance, don't hesitate to call.
Ashley, my area of expertise in an area of Silver Spring called Layhill. It sounds a lot like what you are looking for, it's within 2-3 miles of a Metro, and it is not an hour drive to anywhere in DC.

Let me know if you want more information about the area.
Ashley,
Kensington will give you all if the above. Charm, Marc train, mire for your money.

I can give you more information directly.

My cell 240-603-3965. http://WWW.deroserealty.com

Mary DeRose
In Montgomery County, you might want to look into northern Silver Spring, Burtonsville, Olney, Laytonsville, maybe even Damascus. Germantown has a Marc station, so you might also consider Boyds, Poolesville, Clarksburg. The further north you go, the more for your money, but the compromise is the commute.