Home Buying in Tulsa>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What areas in Tulsa are likely to appreciate in the next 5 years?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 9, 2012

What potential local factors could contribute to this appreciation?

Note: Trulia Question of the Day is popular question being discussed in local markets. We'll featured best answers in consumer monthly digest.

Answers

5
Well I would love to answer that, but as a realtor we are prohibited from saying much considering the fact that that would be steering . I do, however , know that outlying cities such as Broken Arrow and Bixby are growing by leaps and bounds.

If you need any info on Tulsa Statistics on the housing market feel free to contact me via attached link
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 11, 2012
Closer to downtown is the new investment area. Brookside, Riverside, Cherry Street, Pearl District, Downtown, Greenwood Village, Riverview, Maplewood, Utica Square, and TU areas are very affordable, right now and have great appreciation potential.

The city of Tulsa, is actively investing in the refurbishing and updating of the inner city neighborhoods to increase the downtown population and entice new residents and also, new business ventures to increase the tax base for the city. The famous Brady District, is ;now host to the the new Driller Base Ball Park, Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame, Art museums, and many entertainment venues. There is an upswing,of new construction for both residence and business. The famous Blue Dome District has new businesses, opening up and the area is vibrate, with a great nightlife.

Walk-ability, is the key, to finding the next appreciating housing area, in Tulsa. Call me for more detailed developement information.
From an investors point of view, very few homes in the Tulsa area ever wildly appreciate or depreciate.

Having said that, I know of investors who are buying up, the until recently ignored, Glenpool. Creek Turnpike and i75 has made the area very accessible to the areas of town that Tulsan's tend to frequent. And the local school system has started turning it's focus to college preparedness for students. For the most part the terrain is a bit uneventful there, but the residents are genuinely nice.

I would also bet on Sand Springs, largely due to the school systems recently upgraded reputation via Northwoods Fine Arts Academy. Parents will tell you that they love the other elementary schools as well. Sand Springs is one of the only areas in Tulsa county that can boast not only ranch like homes on acreage, but middle class lakeside housing. As well, many affordable homes in north east Sand Springs have 'Million dollar Gilcrease Museum" views. This area like Glenpool has largely been ignored.

As nice as Jenks is, like the school's reputation, I think it's maxed out. Taxes are higher here than for homeowners anywhere else in the area, and the home prices are on average 10 to 20% higher than similar locally. One has to be a careful home buyer in the Jenks school district. Tract house neighborhoods tossed up to profit from the school system popularity, have fallen into disrepair and are depreciating at this very moment. Also, many of the nicer neighborhoods have homes with major structural problems due to the nature of the soil in the area.

Ditto with Broken Arrow, as far as tax and home prices go. But I must say the most recent public pool addition, Nienhuis, is very nice and if kept so should add value for the local homeowners.

Bixby is hot now, as evidenced by the ongoing retail expansion boom. (And the 2010 census.) I believe that buys with appreciation in mind can still be found in the southern part near the Wagoner County line.

To sum up my thoughts on Tulsa from a home appreciation standpoint;
Just say no to North Tulsa. Perhaps someday but not now.
It still may be some time before East Tulsa recovers from the failed Eastland Mall.
South Tulsa is where everyone who moved to Bixby used to live.
It's rumored that Owasso may get a Sam's Club soon which did wonders for my home's value in West Tulsa.
I personally won't look at mid-town for a myriad of reasons, the biggest being that you have to consider a home's value by street, as most of these older neighborhoods have pockets of bad as well as good. I just don't have the time to second guess the future of the market on a house by house basis.

Best wishes, and happy hunting!
With gas prices going up, we have noticed that reurbanization is a significant trend in the Metro Tulsa area. Where you would invest would depend on what you think will be the preeminent trend over the next ten years, a continued preference to live in the suburbs, newer housing with larger, open floorplans and good school districts, or a desire to be close to amenities and places of work, older housing with often great character and architecture from a bygone era.
Jenks is a suburb that we have recommended for years and continue to see great potential. The Jenks population has grown over 70% in the last ten years and there are major Jenks downtown projects that are underway. http://villageonmain.com/

Closer to the downtown area, Brookside is an area that is very affordable right now and shows great appreciation potential. http://brooksidetheplacetobe.com/
In Tulsa that Midtown Tulsa area has historically had the best return on your investment. I have had several agents that bought homes in midtown and sold it a few years later and walk out of the closing table with more money than any other part of town, respective to what they paid for the home. Midtown Tulsa is the area of town from 4th Street from Peoria to Sheridan and south to about 31st street. for more information please feel free to email me directly.