Home Buying in Omaha>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What areas in Omaha are likely to appreciate in the next 5 years?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 9, 2012

What potential local factors could contribute to this appreciation?

Note: Trulia Question of the Day is popular question being discussed in local markets. We'll featured best answers in consumer monthly digest.

Answers

4
Omahaguy1979’s answer
First off, Omaha sprawls as a city as it has concentric shopping centers where residential areas bloom from. Honestly as an Omaha native and homeowner, I would recommend looking at established recreational areas and spots on the edge of Douglas county for best appreciation value. The Omaha Public School system has very inconvenient school times, ineffiecient policies that penalize responsible homeowners and reward only the poorest of families with programs.

I think you should look at:
-District 66 (Westside) school residential areas
-Plattsmouth and Beaver Lake (south of Omaha on Hwy 75 about 20 miles)
-West Omaha (streets higher than 144)
-Midtown has a few pockets (near Aksarben and St. Thomas Moore)
-Chalco Hills/Lake Wehrspahn recreation area
-Ashland (West of Omaha on I-80 about 15 miles)
-Raven Oaks (near Lake Cunningham)

**stay away from Notheast Omaha...that is the armpit of the area, lots of gang activity, and african american underpriveledged, hardly any support from the city council...very run down area (North and east of 13th and Cass). Want to know the worst area? that's at 20th and Lake Street...stay away!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 9, 2012
A downtown Omaha location that has massive potential for appreciation in the next 5 years is the North side of the Old Market...also known as the Capitol District. This area is is obviously anchored by the Century Link Center (formerly Qwest) and now a second anchor which is spurring major development over the next 2 years is the TD Ameritrade Park.

There are several historic buildings renovated into loft style condominium developments within a block of 10th/Dodge...Ford Lofts (1024 Dodge), 1000 Dodge (1008 Dodge St), 902 Dodge (902 Dodge St), and Beebe Runyan (105 S 9th St).

Businesses on this block include Nosh Wine Lounge, DJ's Dugout, , Blazing Pianos Bar, Spencers for Steaks & Chops, and Capitol Lounge...4 of these 5 businesses are all new within the past 18 months. The Omaha World Herald has written numerous articles in the past year about this growing area and specifically the future development of a new full service hotel, condos/apts, and restaurants/retail on the parking lot sight at 10th & Capitol. Not to mention that every viable land between Capitol and Cumming St is being looked at by developers hoping to steak their claim in a neighborhood that's going to host the College World Series for the next 30 years.

My name is Brady Bock, I'm a real estate agent with Prudential Ambassador and an owner at the Ford Lofts at 10th & Dodge since 2005. I LOVE living in this location and couldn't be more excited about the potential for future appreciation. If I was in the market right now for a downtown condo I'd be looking at the Capitol District neighborhood for a solid investment.

I'd be happy to answer questions for anyone looking at downtown Omaha living. You can contact me at 402.630.0555 or brady.bock@gmail.com

Brady Bock
Prudential Ambassador Real Estate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 9, 2012
Papillion has been rated #5 best places to live by Money Magazine for the last few years! Lots of shopping and restaurants. Great place to raise a family. If you are into the nightlife and a ton of great restaurants the Old Market is perfect!
Northwest Omaha seems to be booming!