Home Buying in Boston>Question Details

Pierre Calza…, Real Estate Pro in Alameda, CA

What area of Boston is the best "value" ?

Asked by Pierre Calzadilla, Alameda, CA Tue Jul 24, 2007

For example, the price per square foot is good, amenities are solid, transportation, etc. Sort of Middle-Working class, parks, decent schools etc - I rather consider an apartment rather than a house too.

Answers

6
When looking at East Boston, definitely look at Winthrop. Nice seaside town, less gritty that East Boston. If you like East Boston, some parts of Chelsea may also fit the bill, but be careful with location!
I second the recommendation for East Boston. There are a lot of great new parks as well as current and future development projects. It is super close to downtown, and an easy walk to the T from just about everywhere. Jeffries Point (the area closest to downtown) is widely considered to be the nicest part.
I think East Boston has a great value (about $100 - $150/sqft for multifamilies; $200 - $300/sqft for condos depending on quality and location). It is has a solid working class crowd with old immigrants, recent immigrants, and young professionals. The Jeffries Point area is really taking off. There are some award winning parks and excellent access to all area highways and public transportation (5 subway stops in East Boston).

The public schools are somewhat better than other areas of Boston, but it is an urban school system. There is a local charter school (Excell Academy) for middle schoolers where 70% of their students last year were admitted to exam and private schools. Boston Latin is among the top high schools in the country and is available by exam to any Boston resident.

The best thing for me about East Boston is the people who live here. It is like living in a small town in that you see people you know all the time.

Right outside of Boston, Brookline and Newton have some of the best school systems in Massachusetts. Cambridge has a lot of different types of neighborhoods and Somerville has some good areas (Union Sq and Davis Sq are the best). Winthrop is a pretty nice area with lots of water views and decent schools along with easy access to the city.

I have experienced Jamaica Plain, Brookline & Roslindale as having a strong market presence. When more properties have come onto the market, giving buyers alot to choose from, these communities held up well.
I am biased. I live and work in these areas. They all have a quality housing stock, lots of green spcae and very close to public transportation.

Karen McCormack
GRI, ABR
Love where you Live!
617-306-7804
Hi There,

That’s a tough one to answer, as typically the better the school system, and the better the commuting options, the less of the value real estate will be. These are all factors that increase the value of real estate, so you will not get the best price per square foot in communities that offer this. It’s all relative and becomes about supply and demand. But just based on the value of square footage alone, you can get more square footage for less money in Hyde Park and Dorchester. Best of Luck to You!!

Melissa Mancini, Realtor, CBR, GRI
Web Reference: http://MelissaBMancini.com