Tracie Altla…, Home Buyer in Mount Washington, Ba...

What area has the best community and schools in MD.?

Asked by Tracie Altland, Mount Washington, Baltimore, MD Wed Feb 3, 2010

Answers

7
As Realtor's we are not allowed to comment on which areas haver better schools than others because we don't really have personal knowledge of that. You can visit http://www.greatschools.org and look up Maryland schools. Personally speaking, I live in Lutherville and my youngest son attended Lutherville Lab, Ridgely Middle and Towson High School. All three schools were excellent and were blue ribbon schools. We moved here from Anne Arundel County when my son was entering 2nd grade. My other 4 children attended Hilltop Elementary, Brooklyn Park Elementary, Lindale Middle and Brooklyn Middle and North County High School, I don't have the same opinion of those schools. But, this is my own personal experience and might not be the experience or opinion of other parents. Do your homework and once you have narrowed the schools down do your own due diligence and visit the school and interview the teachers to determine whether that school would be a good fit for your children.
Good luck!!
Hi Tracie,

I believe this is subjective to each individual in terms of schools and communities of what is best.

Here is a link that might help you with regards to school

http://www.greatschools.org/maryland/
Keep in mind opinions are subjective--why not do some of your own homework first--visit neighborhoods more than once and at different times of day and look at everything that is important to you--if you have the opportunity speak to the locals and ask questions--once you narrow down your search, why not visit the school district directly, speak to the school principal(s),teachers, etc., and then make a determination, will your comfort level be reached.
Charles County seems to have the best in Southern Maryland - you can check them out at http://www.ccboa.com and prices on homes seem to the lowest here of anything in the Washington DC area!

Hope that helps....

Bill Wootan
Web Reference: http://www.billwootan.com
By law we can't tell you which areas have the best schools unless we have personal knowledge, however we can provide you with the tools to make that determination. I can tell you that we moved to Lutherville because of the school system. Our choices were between Catonsville and Lutherville. We couldn't find a house we could afford in Catonsville that was in the right school catchment area so we bought in Lutherville (I commute to Glen Burnie every day). My 11 year old went to Lutherville Lab (a blue ribbon school) and now to Ridgely (also a blue ribbon school) and will go to Towson High School (a top rated school), some of his classmates will go to Dulaney High School (also in the top 10 in Maryland). My son had special needs and they were met and exceded at Lutherville and is now working at grade level and above in some subject areas. Some schools are now magnet schools specializing in certain subject areas preparing kids for the workforce to meet growing demands there. I would be happy to share with you the tools I used to determine which schools would meet my childs needs and help you find your next home. Feel free to visit my website at http://www.junepiperbrandon.com, email me junepiperbrandon@advancerealtyusa.com or give me a call 410-292-0100
That depends on what you consider BEST. If you are looking in Mt Washington you're in great area in the city where there is a wonderful eclectic mix of people, amazing old cottages and grand victorian homes. The setting is of course spectacular with winding hilly streets and mature vegetation.And there are blue ribbon schools in the area. Your best bet to compare schools in the county is bcps.org which also links to Baltimore City schools. There are actual school report cards there. Near there heading North on Falls Rd, I love Bare Hills (used to live there). The incredible six sq miles of almost wilderness park at Robert E Lee with Lake Roland is fairly unique - like living in a rural setting just yards over the city line. Roland Park, Rodgers Forge, Pinehurst are all near Mt Washington and offer diverse and strong sense of community with excellant schools. If you like the feel of Mt Washington you might look at areas like Blythewood, behind Eddies on Roland Ave ( South of Northern Parkway). If you provide an email address I could give you a free acces accont for ListingBook which allows you to create a map area search with your criteria and sends report every morning with all new listings that match, price changes, solds, etc. It is very cool. rreeves@cbmove.com or call/text 410-258-8935
Tracie,

I grew up in the Lutherville/Ruxton/Riderwood area of Baltimore County and I loved it. Incredible recreation/sports league system and amazing public school system. Riderwood Elementary, then Ridgely or Dumbarton Middle, then Towson or Dulaney High School.

There are fantastic private schools in Baltimore as well, including Gilman, Bryn Mawr, Roland Park and St. Paul's, just to name a few, but Maryland has one of the best school systems in the country, so there area many many options. If you want to know more about any one specific part of Maryland, I can help you.