Home Buying in Westerville>Question Details

fairygrandmt…, Home Buyer in Westerville, OH

What are your thoughts about buying a home with one of the "power towers" at the back edge of a one acre lot?

Asked by fairygrandmthr, Westerville, OH Fri Dec 14, 2012

Answers

9
I've answered this question before on Trulia for somebody up in Lewis Center. You might want to search the responses and see if you can find them.

It is a fact: a power tower will adversely affect the value of a property. It will also affect the ability to sell it. And depending on what you read, there may be health hazards.

The problem is that they are visually unappealing and there is a perceived danger with them. And acre lot is pretty large, but the affect is based on the size of the tower and it's proximity to the property. If it's close, and it's readily visible, it's a deal killer. Regardless of whether they are truly dangerous, or not, buyers run from them (smart buyers, anyway). So, yes, you can get a great deal...but you will lose any gains when you try to sell later. FYI, if you hear a "cracking noise" coming from something/anything near your house that ought to throw up a red flag right away.

Perception creates reality when it comes to buying and selling real estate. I would be very cautious if I were you.

Jim Deskins
The HomeBuyer's Advocate
Broker-Owner
http://www.advocate4buyers.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Wise decision to pass. If you need any more help please feel free to let me know. Make sure you have a Realtor who works with buyers and who is also familiar with the area you are looking in.

Jim
Thanks to all who answered. Just an FYI, we decided to pass on the property. We don't want to have to worry about resale.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
It's been well covered by others but I always look at these things from two angles. One is your purchase and the other when you sell it. If you are getting a good deal and you intend to live there a long time...then go for it. You will get your value out of the property. If you only plan to be there a short time then you have to really think hard about re-sale.

Anything that makes a property stand out, even if it's an improvement, will cut the potential market. A swimming pool is a good example. Some people love them and others hate them. It's doubtful that anyone is looking for a house with a "power tower" but there will be others like you who won't really mind it...but most will have a problem with it.

Hope that helps!
http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Selling/How_hard_is_to_res…

Here is the discussion regarding a similar question from a while back.

Jim
Hi Fairygrandmthr,

Thoughts, opinions we all have them. BUT this is a fact. A power tower will affect the resale of the home. Keep that in mind. You may say to yourself, well we are getting a good price and like the home and we will just " live with it". But when you go to sell you will have difficulty in finding someone of the same mindset as yourself. Now on the bright side, if you get the home at a good price coming in, and home values keep moving up you might be able to walk away down the road with a gain even if you discount the property due to the power tower.

All the best to you and have a great Holiday Season!!

Jeffrey L. Paeltz
Everyone has their own opinions on these eye soars. I have noticied that when you are selling the power towers and rail road tracks can potentional effect the value of a home. I have helped many buyers who were okay with them as well. You will have to ask yourself if this is a concern or not to you. Power Towers are very common in Lewis Center and Westerville. Keep in mind you are the one that will have to live there so I wouldn't let others make the decision for you.
If you are looking to buy this, you have probably already noticed you are getting more for your money... more land, more amenities, more sqft, more upgrades, etc. What you need to realize is you are probably not getting a steal and more than likely you are going to be paying fair market value. You should take this into consideration because when you go to sell, you will have to discount the property the same percentage as the present seller to achieve a "perception of value." The biggest concern we hear from Buyers... "It is just not pretty to look at" or "I don't like the crackling noise."
It may limit the value & desirability.