Home Buying in Nashville>Question Details

rgmstf, Home Buyer in Nashville, TN

What are your opinions of buying a stucco house? it has a warranty but the potential costs of repair IF anything occurs look astounding? Nervous!

Asked by rgmstf, Nashville, TN Thu Apr 3, 2014

As long as it's not EIFS stucco is a very good building material. And assuming it's been installed correctly....
Be mindful that opinions are subjective, therefore follow your instincts...
We own a stucco home and I would be happy to talk with you about it. The most important advice I can give is to have the stucco system inspected prior to purchase and regularly (every 18 months) by a reputable service provider. Regular maintenance (caulk, paint, etc) will alleviate a vast majority of potential problems. Please let me know if I can help
If you happen to like the style and look, I would say go for it. Any home is going to have some amount of upkeep in care needed on the exterior. As long as you are keeping up with it, it should be fine. cost will probably be a little bit more than a standard brick or siding home
I agree that maintenance is an on-going issue for any home/exterior. If it is Dryvit as opposed to true stucco there are plenty of things to look for relative to the care it received from the previous owner or owners. The product is not an issue, the problems came in the installation and lack of knowledge/care of the installers in the area at the time.
Flag Thu Apr 3, 2014
Is it stucco or EIFS (Dryvit)?