Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Meera, Home Buyer in Washington, DC

What are the up and coming neighborhoods in Washington, DC closer to metro and less crime? Looking for older homes with character. Willing to update

Asked by Meera, Washington, DC Sat Jul 16, 2011

Looking for a row home or single family home. Looking for diversity and low crime neighborhoods with easy access to metro and public transportation. What neighborhoods would you suggest?

Answers

19
Hi Meera,
Are you interested in an investment property, or a home to occupy? If you're planning to live in the home and stay awhile, these decisions will be made based on your own impressions of DC's neighborhoods, how comfortable you feel in them and how convenient the commute will be to work and entertainment. Will you be driving to grocery and other amenities? If not, you'll want to take their locations into account as well. I specialize in buyer representation and though I'm able to find buyers something in every neighborhood within their price point, my clients' preferences for location are almost always defined by touring no matter how much research was done beforehand. Let your agent suggest homes within several different locations that meet your criteria for your first tour, focus on locations rather than the homes themselves, and prioritize as you go along. Location will prove to be the most important decision-making factor, so getting out and seeing neighborhoods personally is essential. Once you've defined your target area, the search narrows to the homes within it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 25, 2011
Dear Meera,
In the price range of $600K to $650K near a Metro there are many neighborhoods that might work
for you. I think the northern tip of Columbia Heights is fairly underrated and is tied to Petworth Metro.
You can generally find fixer-uppers on Quincy, Randolph, Shepherd & Taylor near the Metro that are
a good value. The southern part of Columbia Heights tends to have higher prices per sq. ft.
The southern tip of Petworth has larger homes than the rest of Petworth and can generally walk
to Petworth Metro.
The northern tip of Shepherd Park (Leegate, Roxanna, Primrose are very convenient to Silver Spring
Metro. Shepherd Park has wonderful re-sale value. More people are familiar with Takoma Park, Maryland
but Takoma DC is very nice and can walk to Metro. I would strongly suggest you do a wide sweep of as
many different neighborhoods and then work to narrow it somewhat (Brookland, Cap Hill, Shaw, SW
all have homes near Metros. One of the best pieces of advice that I can give you is to buy a home
that is very marketable - that way you will tend not to have trouble selling. Generally it is helpful
to buy in an area where other homes are at least as valuable. If you are looking in a neighborhood
that is mostly rowhouses - a semi-detached may be a great value. If you are looking in Takoma DC
many of the homes are frame - simply finding a nice brick home for the same price might be a good
value. Not something I see in writing but I tend to have a marketibility index that I tend to work with
to help buyers. Finding a home with a nice situs is always great thing to do (not location, how the house sits on the lot and what projects around it - as an example I found a home in Mount Pleasant that was semi-detached (in an area that is almost all rowhouses) had a very deep beautiful front garden (most other homes are close to the street) and was across the street from 3 large detached homes on great lots (rare in Mount Pleasant) on a one block long street with cul-de-sac. All which made for one of the nicest situs in the whole neighborhood. These are just some thoughts. Also, I do have some great suggestions for best mortgage programs that will save you money.
Steven Figman Weichert Realtors 202-494-5902 info@dcrealestatequestions.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 16, 2011
Check out Bloomingdale & Eckington. Both neighborhoods are just north of the original city's Florida Avenue border, located on either side of North Capitol.
Hi, You can visit http://www.homefair.com and http://www.spotcrime.com for in-depth reports on any area.

Chris
Agree, Leslie, Glover Park has a lot to offer and a pretty interesting history as well.
Hi Meera, Glover Park is the answer. There are homes here that are in foreclosure or just low-priced and under your budget. How about $400k ? We offer bus routes that bring you to the Foggy Bottom metro and even the circulator. Buses actually wind through some of our back streets and they go to Union Station, Dupont Circle and other points a significant distance away. Great areas we can help you with below your price range: Georgetown, Burlieth, Glover Park.
If you have not signed with or committed to another buyers agent, email or call us.
Les
Dear Meera,
Have answered your Trulia question some time ago. I have some additional good ideas
for you. Call me at 202-494-5902
Steven Figman Weichert Realtors
Hi Meera, it sounds like you have had a great deal of good advice on finding the neighborhood! There are certainly some very good neighborhoods in the District to choose from. Once you find a couple of neighborhoods to focus on, try to get a feel for the character of the individual street, which can vary greatly even within a neighborhood. Look for places where homeowners are actively putting work into the homes, this will be a good indication that the work you plan to do will have a value to it. Also it is a good idea to walk a prospective purchase with a remodeling expert who can help identify critical areas where work will be needed and help discuss potential costs and pitfalls. When you have an excellent realtor and a competent builder both working as a team to support your purchase, you will have a great start to your home purchase. Give me a call if you want help, I am always happy to assist with a consultation and there is no cost to you on that.
Web Reference: http://www.bowa.com
HI Meera

I would recommend driving around a few different neighborhoods, such as Columbia Heights, Petworth, H Street area, just to name a few (I say these only because they are near a metro and sometimes have homes to remodel as compared to a neighborhood like Cleveland Park or Woodley Park) to see what the neighborhood is like.

I would also recommend getting in touch with a buyers agent who can send you listings and show you properties in areas that you are interested in. Feel fee to drop me a line or give me a call if you need any help.

Melissa
Meera, then my advice is to choose a buyer agent, see one to two homes in four to six neighborhoods on both a Saturday and Sunday. By then, you'll have a definite idea of where you want to live and the home types and prices representative of that area. Feel free to call me to set that up. : )
@Susan, I am looking for a home to live in. @Melissa, I am willing to remodel a home that doesn't have structural, electrical and plumbing issues. My main criteria are safe neighborhoods, being close to a metro, grocery stores etc. I am also looking ahead in terms of value because after all your home is the biggest investment you make. I am looking for neighborhoods where I can remodel it according to my taste and build some equity. Thank you all for your input.
Hi Meera

There are many great neighborhoods in DC that offer diversity. It really depends on how much you are willing to spend on a home. Different neighborhoods have different price points thus some could be ruled out based upon your budget. Are you looking for a home to remodel or for a home that has already been remodeled and ready to move-in? More grocery stores are and have come to DC, such as the safeway downtown, the Whole Foods near Logan, the Trader Joes in Jenkins Row just to the east of Capitol Hill.

If you could let me know price range and type of home (already done or needs work), I would be happy to email over some properties that are on the market.

Melissa
mbarkalow@comcast.net
202.285.9479
Low crime, close to metro and easy access to grocery stores are very important to me. We have previous experience remodeling a home including a kitchen. So definitely willing to put in the effort. Row houses are ok if they have enough square footage and potential. Mainly interested in getting into a good neighborhood that has easy access to metro and offers good investment potential. Thank you all for your response.
If you aren't afraid of some elbow grease, you are allowing yourself some smart options for neighborhoods that are harder to get into right now, and ultimately you can create your own equity. You will have to prioritize what is most important, like close to metro, and what amenities you want near your home(restaurants, grocery stores, etc) . If you can spend 650K including repairs than some really hot neighborhoods right now are NoMA, (North of Massachusetts Ave in NE), which corresponds with the H St. area, which is right across from the beginning of Capitol Hill. These are areas that are growing at a fast pace, and if you are looking to build investment value, then I think you will see some potential here. You won't find many single family detached homes in these neighborhoods, however they will mainly be rowhouses. Eckington and LeDroit Park are also continuing grow right now as well, right along the Rhode Island Ave/Florida Ave corridor.

I would be happy to help you learn more about these neighborhoods so that you can make an informed choice, and be really satisfied with your purchase. Its a really big investment!!

Hillary~

Hillary Nash
Nash Holdings Co.
Exit Elite Realty
202.907.7301 cell
hillarynash@mris.com
Meera;
All the neighborhoods mentioned above have plenty to offer for home buyers. However, there is no direct corelation between neighborhoods and houses that are structurally electrically perfect. There are homes renovated and upgraded in every neighborhood. Therefore the condition of the house should not be the defining factor to choose a neighborhood. The life style, convenince to various shopping centers, public transportation, school districts are the defining factors for a neighborhood. I will be happy to show you different neighorhoods in DC. Please contact me if you like more information about neighborhoods.
My budget is 600-650K and would be willing to remodel kitchens and baths etc. But it must be structurally sound without electrical, plumbing and other issues. So given that what would be the best neighborhoods within DC with good investment and growth potential?
Hi Meera!

Your wallet will determine which neighborhoods will work these types of attributes! In NE DC, there are lots of single family detached homes, combining a little bit of suburbia with city life. That would be Brookland, Michigan Park, and Woodridge. You can also be in NW in Takoma Park, or Shepard Park which are closer to Silver Spring, and have different style homes. There are some sleeper neighborhoods like Hillcrest that also have great style. Once you take a tour of these neighborhoods, you will begin to get a feel for what fits your lifestyle. I hope this information was helpful!!

Hillary Nash
Nash Holdings @ Exit Elite Realty
202.907.7301 cell
hillarynah@mris.com
Brookland and Woodbridge are two neighborhoods that fit this criteria. Not overly developed. Still plenty of charecter and value. Call me to discuss -202-321-4529.
Columbia Heights, Petworth, Shaw, Takoma Park, DC. Each neighborhood has their attributes!