Jd Mellott, Home Buyer in

What are the top 5 neighborhoods in the Myrtle beach area? We are looking for a place close to the beach and

Asked by Jd Mellott, Sun Aug 10, 2008

in the Little River thru Mrtle bech area. Thanks for any help!

Answers

32
Hey JD Mellott and others interested,

I'm a Myrtle Beach local for 20+ years and there are definite areas of our coastline that are more popular than others. The biggest attraction to neighborhoods are proximity to the beach accesses, general neighborhood cleanliness and safety, and finally affordable price points.

I've read through the other suggestions and agree with some of them and decided to put the best of all those suggested into one list.

1. The Dunes Club
2. Plantation Pointe
3. Pine Lakes
4. Arcadian Shores
5. Any of the Grande Dunes Neighborhoods

Best of luck JD and anyone else who reads this advice. I'll be more than willing to guide you to your future home.

"Let's Get Started!"
John Weaver
843-254-1598
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 29, 2014
I am looking to move down there...need 3 bedrooms and allows pets..have cats and more than 2..willing to pay extra if I must...safe good place please???
Flag Sun Jan 11, 2015
I saw this when searching the internet....I am looking for a good safe place to move to down there....I am on SSDI and stay home....but my children will be with me and we have 5 pets...all of which we really take good care after..anything?
Flag Sun Jan 11, 2015
That is difficult to answer because the "Grand Strand" area geography changes drastically between Little River and Myrtle Beach. I guess my best question to you would be to describe your perfect neighborhood and then I could probably point you in the right direction. Everything is personal preference, different people will have different opinions.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
Hello JD, Checking in to see if you have found the perfect Grand Strand area yet. With so many choices it makes it very overwhelming. I have lived in Myrtle Beach over 30 years now and the area between 48th Ave N. and 82nd Ave N. in Myrtle Beach has always been favorite. People seem to forget there are sections in the City of Myrtle Beach that aren't in a Planned Community and that don't have POA's & HOA's that always come with some sort of restrictions. Land Value or the Value of the Dirt is high in the area I have suggested to you, but there are some fantastic prices right now in every area. I lived off of 62nd Ave.N for almost 19 years and just recently moved a few blocks South and also East of Bus.17, I'm now with in walking distance of the Beach but even better is its a fantastic Golf Cart ride to the Beach which is a straight shot and right at the end of my street and there is nothing built Ocean Front in this little strip called the Golden Mile. Theres a public access and golf cart parking right there. On a clear night you can hear the Ocean and you can smell the Ocean all the time. I never imagined that moving to the East Side of Bus.17 (less than 1/2 mile) could be such a difference, but I can actually feel the difference. So if you haven't made your final decision or move yet, please do yourself a favor and check out the area I have recommend to you.

Another key point to remember is that a huge part of what makes something worth more is based on supply and demand. As a Realtor one thing I hear a lot from people is "but I don't plan to ever move again, this is it". It doesn't matter if you plan to move again or not, in my opinion you should always keep in mind the "Resale Factor" when you buy a home. Most people don't plan a lot of things they just happen in life. In a Planned Community they never seem to run out of a supply of homes because the builder just adds another Phase, which makes Resale that much harder. But in the City of Myrtle Beach there is only so much land.

If you would like more information on this area of the Myrtle Beach, I am just an email or phone call away and would be more than happy to help you and your family.
Web Reference: http://www.KimmieHauver.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 27, 2008
Mr. Mellott,

We say the Grand Strand covers some 60 miles from North Myrtle Beach all the way down to Georgetown. I work in the southern portion of the Grand Strand primarily. I'd encourage you to check out the Pawleys Island and Litchfield Beach opportunities such as single family or condominiums in Litchfield by the Sea as well as The Reserve, Willbrook Plantation and River Club that are golf course communities having access to a private beach. The Litchfield Plantation community has a beach house on Pawleys Island as well as the amenities of the neighborhood itself. The Debordeux Colony is another golf and beach community. The south end is quiet and not as crowded as up the beach. Jason's suggestions are certainly good ones for that end of the Strand. I work at Heritage Plantation where we think what we have to offer is pretty special too. Our community of over 600 acres offers patio, custom and estate lots and we're only a short drive from Pawleys Island or Huntington Beach State Park. There are a little over 500 homesites in what was originally two old southern rice plantations. We have a marina on the Waccamaw River (Intracoastal Waterway) which provides you access to the Atlantic Ocean if you're a boater. We have golf course, tennis, olympic sized pool and owner's clubhouse where you'll find a very active social calendar of events. If you want to be on vacation for the rest of your life, this is where I'd suggest you aim.

If I can help at all, please let me know. Thanks, John 843-325-1755 Cell
Web Reference: http://JohnSefick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 10, 2008
We are looking for a house in the Myrtle Beach area (NMB, Little River, MB) that is located in a subdivision that has amenities and activities for young retirees. We are not interested in a 55+ community. We are also looking to be out of the crowds of the summer as much as possible. A gated community would be a plus, but not a necessity. We would want very little crime in the area. Public transportation nearby would also be desirable. We're not golfers, but having property with a golf course or a lake view would be nice. We are hoping to keep the cost down and spend around $250,000 -$300,000. RESALE possibilities is important. We are in our early 60's and this would be our retirement home to live year round. Any suggestions as to where to start to research? Thanks for your help.
Please let us know if you find an area that meets your criteria. (post your findings?) We have the exact same criteria and are not familiar with the area. Thanks, M and T
Flag Sun Nov 8, 2015
I'm looking for exactly that. Any luck? Thanks!
Flag Mon Aug 31, 2015
I would love to live off of the marina or right off the beach. Those homes have to hold really good value because they have very beautiful scenery all around them. I bet you could find some listings online if you really wanted to find homes off the coasts. It may be hard to find any for sale because people don't normally move from places like those.

Zach | http://www.portofanacortes.com/visit/the-marina
I forgot to tell you that 7001 Porcher Drive, you can see the ocean from the upstairs bedroom. We walk or take the golf cart to the beach which is directly down the road from our driveway.
We have a townhouse for sale on 70th avenue in Myrtle Beach. The ONLY reason we are selling is because we have ourgrown it with several grandchildren and looking for a larger place. They range in age from 7 to 1. My daughter and daughter in law strolled/walked all the time with them. They never felt unsafe. I believe the crime rate is very low in this area. It's a beautiful home with 3 bedrooms and 3 full baths with a low HOA that pays for the insurance on the outside, ground maintenace.... It's the end unit which comes with extra parking and lots of windows. It's 7001 Porcher Drive, Unit A.
I'm looking too and want to be within walking distance to the ocean. We like Surfside Beach Club but it is not. Any other ideas for a neighborhood atmosphere? We do like the south end but I'm open. I've run out of websites! Thanks!
Check out the Arrowhead community off of Burcale rd..
Flag Mon Feb 23, 2015
Making a sound purchase is no easy task and you must be prepared especially in a fast paced market such as it is here. I would take the time to consult with an experienced agent here in the area, preferably myself, and get all your options layed out for you in detail. Once you are prepared to make a sound decision you will be ready to pull the trigger on that one specific property that is that good investment.
JD - If you are not working with a local expert yet I'd love to help you with your search.

All my best,

Wayne Gaddy - Realtor, Broker Associate
Experience is not expensive, it's priceless!

843-603-5552 Cell

https://www.facebook.com/EXPERTMyrtleBeachREALTOR?v=app_3597…

P.S. Do you know someone who will be buying, selling or investing in Real Estate this year? I would appreciate your referrals!

Carolina Pines Realty, Inc
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Member NRBA, REOMAC, NAHREP, CDPE, SSAA, NAR, SCR, CCAR
More than happy to assist you in your research. Myrtle Beach is a vast area with many options as far a lifestyle which would be a big factor in your search. The Grand Strand has over 60 miles of beach from Pawleys Island and north up to Little River Area. New construction is going in all areas.

What other needs are on your list?

Please fee free to contact me if you would like to chat.

nancy@screalestatenetwork.com
860-2621203
What are the HOA restrictions in Spring Lake subdivision regarding animals, such as dogs, and if you back up to a pond/lake what are the restrictions of a privacy fence
The OP did not note any personal preferences, so the respondents noted neighborhoods in general terms.
Here's a specific recommendation. I have no idea if this is what the OP wants, but I might help.
My wife and I, independent, with two grown children, were looking for a place on the beach, in a resort setting, with an ocean view.
We wanted to be away from the excitement of the center of town, but close enough to be there in a few minutes if we wanted to.
So, we selected the North Seventies. The area is quiet, with many lovely homes, and very good shopping and restaurants. For example, I can walk to a supermarket, an excellent health food store with a restaurant, and several other notable restaurants. We can walk to both a Talbots and a Steinmart, and even a cigar store.
A pleasant driving distance to Conway, Calabash, and even Georgetown and Charleston.
Jd,

There are a variety of different neighborhoods in the area. Considerations are the hoa dues you want to pay and the amenities you want in a community. If you want to be close to the beach, The Dunes Club, Pinelakes, Dunes Cove, and homes in the Avenues would be great options. Another choice might be Grande Dunes and there are a variety of different communities which offer membership to The Ocean Club to fill your days with fun by the ocean and different events. If you go farther west and desire a waterway community, The Bluffs, Carolina Waterway Plantation, and Waterway Palms are options. A favorite neighborhood is Plantation Lakes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBY3Dsg5zwY&feature=share… which was a top selling area last year and continues this year with a variety of new homes underway. Waterford Plantation is also in Carolina Forest and is a top choice for many buyers. If we can be of any help, please contact us at 843-340-0562 or 843-997-6664. Thank you and congratulations on selecting Myrtle Beach, SC which offers not only beautiful beaches but great tax benefits to homeowners.
There are many wonderful neighborhoods in the Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach area. Since our area features 60 miles of coast line just about everything is close to the beach.

Some of the most popular neighborhoods are below with a link to the actual neighborhood detailed info about each community:

Arrowhead Myrtle Beach - http://www.homeguidemyrtlebeach.com/Arrowhead
Covington Lakes - http://www.homeguidemyrtlebeach.com/Covington-Lakes
The Farm - http://www.homeguidemyrtlebeach.com/The-Farm-Myrtle-Beach
Hunters Ridge - http://www.homeguidemyrtlebeach.com/Hunters-Ridge-Myrtle-Beach
Plantation Lakes - http://www.homeguidemyrtlebeach.com/Plantation-Lakes
Spring Lake - http://www.homeguidemyrtlebeach.com/Spring-Lake
Waterford Plantation - http://www.homeguidemyrtlebeach.com/Waterford-Plantation

Hope this information helps with your search.

Just let us know if we can help you in any way.

Jerry Pinkas
Jerry Pinkas Real Estate Experts
854 Jason Blvd - Unit G
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
843-839-9870
hello i recently moved from erie pa to orlando fl.myself and my 18yr old daughter plan on moving to myrtle beach. also i have a 2 month old grandaughter.. any suggestions for a good area near beaches..somewhere that isnt soooo costly to rent..
Plantation Lakes and the Bluff's are beautiful in Carolina Forest
Cipriana Park, Surfside Beach Club, Raised beach homes in Surfside Beach (various communities), Prestwick, Southwood. These are some of my favorites for those clients looking to be near the beach.
By the way....I forgot to mention that the neighborhood also has a very nice community pool...and the hoa dues are only $45 per month for it's use!!

Annie Morse
Hi JD! I am a Realtor here at the beach and I have what I believe to be a home/listing in the best residential neighborhood 1/12 blocks to the beach in all of the Grand Strand area! The reason being is many! This little community is called, Seaside Village and it is!! It is located on the very quiet southern end of Myrtle Beach, right before you reach the entrance to the New Market Commons area! ( I will enlighten you about that wonderful new area in a minute!) Now, this community is as I said 11/2 blocks to the beach, across the street from a Par 3 golf course, a Putt-Putt/Gooney Golf course is right up the street for the kids! The community has a wonderful lake! And, you can golf cart ride to all these things including some excellent restaurants that have been on the beach for 20 some years! Now, if you travel by car down Hwy 17 to the next traffic light you will have arrived in the new "Market Commons"...this would be your stomping grounds! It is a work/live community surrounded by major retailers, restaurants, movie theatres and gourmet grocery store! Not to mention several parks surrounding a huge lake! (Barnes and Noble, Pottery Barn, Eddie Bauer, PF changs, etc. are the retailers!) Best of the Best in these two worlds...living by the ocean and shopping and dining etc. @ Market Commons! My Clients listing is a 3 bedroom 1600-1700 heated square ft. with a 2 car garage, fireplace, carolina room etc.etc.etc.... and below last sold comp which was a "bank property" by 25K.....price is $274,900......these homes in this community are all single family, transitional style, most are single level built of either brick, or hardiplank siding or a combination of.....Very charming indeed! The yards tend to be modest but, meant to be for less maintenance! Privacy fences are allowed!
I think you would be very pleased and agree with me about all the wonderful reasons and features!
Contact me if you would like me to email you the listing and the other's within the community!
Most sincerely,
Annie Morse-Realtor/Interior Decorator
bmorsemadden@sc.rr.com
843-602-5677 cell
Web Reference: http://myrtlebeachhomes.us
There is something for everyone in Myrtle Beach!
Some of my favorite neighborhoods are:
Briarcliffe Acres
The Avenues
The Dunes Club
Plantation Lakes
The Farm
Pine Lakes
Sara Boling
Hi JD,
There are so many nice subdivisions here in the Myrtle Beach area. It is hard to answer your questions without more information from you. But, let me try. My favorite neighborhood might be Seaside Plantation where you can find a 2600 heated sqft home for $494,000 and you are only a few blocks to the ocean. If you prefer Little River (about 6 miles from the ocean), my favorite neighborhood might be River Hills where you can find a couple of beautiful 1800 heated sqft homes in the $245,000-325,000 range. They go up from there. Barefoot Resort has a nice 2300 heated sqft home there for $226,900. It's about 1-2 miles to the ocean plus this neighborhood offers you an oceanfront cabana. Plantation Lakes is about 7-10 miles to the ocean in Myrtle Beach. They have beautiful homes around the lakes. There's a home there about 3300 heated sqft for $499,000 with a view of the lake. Grande Dunes is another great neighborhood. There's a 2600 heated sqft foreclosed home there you can pickup for about $589,000. You can buy a new 1700 heated sqft home at Hidden Lakes in Little River in the $200,000 range. So, you see - there's so much. There are actually almost 5,000 homes listed for sale in the Myrtle Beach area between the prices of $100,000 and $1,000,000. Tell me more about what you have in mind and I can help you further. Contact Sharon Hall at Century 21 Coastal Lifestyles - shall523@aol.com
JD,

Top neighborhoods would really be determined by what your personal criteria might be. I did note that you want to be near the beach, but how near is near/

Some highly regarded neighborhoods are:

Pine Lakes neighborhood, located from 60th North to 40th North in Myrtle Beach, SC
Dunes Club, located around 82nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach, SC
Grand Dunes, new development that has very nice properties, but has struggled with sales and resale values.
Plantation Pointe, very nice development around 38th Avenue North, established with little home depreciation.
Surf Club, North Myrtle Beach development that holds it's value near the Ocean

To give you a more complete answer, I would need to know more. You might want to ask our agents on Myrtle-Beach.com
Web Reference: http://www.myrtle-beach.com
You definitely should look in the Little River and Calabash areas. In todays market you can get a very good price on new homes, often with the builder paying closing costs for you. Contact me if you would like more information on communities in these areas. I am happy to help you.

Feel free to contact me at shall523@aol.com or http://www.come2myrtlebeach.com
Hi Jd!

The answer depends on what your current needs are--there are many wonderful neighborhoods in the Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach area. I am a Realtor who has lived here for 10 years, but also grew up vacationing here, so I have a good knowledge of the area. Some of the best neighborhoods, great amenities and great locations are: Barefoot Resort & Golf (North Myrtle Beach), Berkshire Fores (Carolina Forest), The Grande Dunes (Myrtle Beach), Plantation Lakes (Carolina Forest), Surfside Beach Club... Again, the answer depends on price range, what type of home you are looking for, and what you want from the area.

If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to check out my website to contact me at http://www.BarefootinMyrtleBeach.com.

Have you thought about Hilton Head Island? All of the great amenities ofMyrtle Beach without all of te congestion. Just a thought. If you wish to learn more about this area, please go to: http://www.luxuryhomesofhiltonhead.com
Mr. Mellott: Try the Carolina Forest area, mid range neighborhood to upscale.
For a community with golf courses and custom design homes try the Legends Resort http://,www.legendsrealestateinformation.com or a new gated community http://www.sagoplantation.com to build a custom design ranging from 1600 sq ft up.
It all depends on what you are looking for. If I was to rate the neighborhoods in the Myrtle Beach area it would probably go something like the following: Pawley's Island/Litchfield, Surfside Beach, Garden City, Cherry Grove, Murrells Inlet

These are all on the south side of Myrtle Beach. This is coming from someone who likes the feel of the small beach town. If you're looking for the hustle and bustle, then you'll want to head north
As a non realtor and recent transplant, I suggest you take a look at Briarcliffe or directly across 17 at The Forest. Next, some areas of Windy Hill are nice.
In order to answer this question more completely, there are a few more pieces of information needed.

1. Are you looking for single family or condo's?
2. Are you looking to use as primary, second home, or rental property?
3. What price point are you looking to stay within?

I think answers to those three questions will help to narrow down the answers you get. Without some sort of parameters you will get all types & prices. If I can be of further assistance, let me know.
Mr Mellott,

Close to the beach is of course subjective. I do most of my business just on the other side of Myrtle Beach, but not quite in Conway, in Carolina Forest. I would rank in the top five communities in the area, still convenient to the beach (around ten mins door to water), but out of the toursit activity as: Plantation Lakes, The Grande Dunes, Plantation Pointe, Barefoot Resort, and Cherry Grove. Of course price point, and type of home also play a role, so it is arguably impossible to come up with a hard and fast list, there will no doubt be many arguments made why other communities are superior to these, and they would be valid depending on the parameters used to select. These are just my opinion off the top of my head.

Hope that helps some.