Home Buying in Louisville>Question Details

Wes Black, Real Estate Pro in Louisville, KY

What are the three most important traits that an excellent realtor should possess?

Asked by Wes Black, Louisville, KY Sat Jan 28, 2012

My choices are trustworthiness, knowledge of the area, and being personable.

Answers

4
Wes, Very interesting question...and, please forgive me for my over analytical mind...and curious to me in that I wonder if what another agent thinks are the three most important traits are the same someone out of the real estate industry would think are most important. Not picking on real estate; I think the same analysis could be said for mortgage professionals as for anyone else. In other words, I may have any number of traits I think are the most important; however, it really does not matter what I think...it matters only what my clients, real estate partners and affilates think are most important.

I think the "most important" depends upon the situation. For example, while i agee with Michael's assessment that marketing skill are important, I don't think a potential buyer gives a hill of beans about marketing plans. Likewise, and forgive me here, being personable would mean nothing to the buyer or seller in a really crucial juncture in a transaction.

In essence, I think the three most important traits needed depend upon what the actual situation calls for. One trait I think is essential, however, is RESPECT (and there is far to little of it in either real estate or mortgage financing...IMHO).

Respect for self (I will represent myself with honesty and integrity and ethics because that is who I am).
Respect for all customers, clients (understanding my job is to accomplish THEIR goals, not mine).
Respect for colleagues...internal and external (there are a lot of people involved in the process, each has their job and role to do...they deserve respect in the process).
Respect for ALL real estate professionals in the transaction (this one has always been important to me. I recognize that I hold their commission and possibly their livelihood in my hands with every transaction. I do not take that responsibility lightly).

Thanks for the question. You have given me the basis for a incredible blog post!! Best to you!
Integrity; responsiveness; sophisticated marketing skills.
Experience , honesty, and negotiating skills are my choices.
I agree with the three items you selected. Three things that I believe help me stand apart from other agents, prompt professional communication, educating the client as to what to expect before any issues arise, being willing to reach out to the cross selling agent to solve problems and negotiate a contract so that it will close.