latonya.casp…, Home Owner in Portsmouth, VA

What are the steps to apply for a tax reassessment?

Asked by latonya.casper, Portsmouth, VA Wed Sep 19, 2012

Answers

2
First you get an independent appraisal done. Then you take that appraisal to the assessor s office. The assessor s office will send someone from there office to verify the information. Then they will let you know if they will re-assess or not. Also tell your appraiser the assessor s office will NOT accept Short Sale or Foreclosure comps, so ask the appraiser not to include them in there report.

Steven P. Bunch
Principle Broker of Bunch Real Estate

Lives in Portsmouth
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
I was told that generally doesn't happen here....but when I lived elsewhere, I called the tax assessor's office, filled out a discrepancy grievance between the market value/purchase price and the tax assessor, then had to meet with an assessor. It was lowered, though not as low as the purchase price. I think there were separate steps if you were elderly or on a fixed income. Here...I don't know. We are looking at purchasing a house and I would LOVE to know if you find out anything different...