Question Details

Bernadette, Both Buyer and Seller in Maryland

What are the services that a home buyer can expect from an experienced/good agent?

Asked by Bernadette, Maryland Mon Mar 4, 2013

Answers

2
Here's a list of services* (in addition to showing homes) , not in any particular order:

1. expertise in the area of interest - informational tour - previewing homes on the market - and all questions answered regarding commuting needs, schools, local recreational activites, medical centers, shops, restaurants etc.
2. detailed explanation of the home buying process - negotiate in good faith to reach an agreement - advise. and represent buyer's best interests.
3. guidance in regard to being pre- approved for a loan - recommendations for lenders if needed
4 names of vendors, attorneys, home inspectors, etc where needed
5 market updates and review of current market conditions, including recent closed sales
6 overview of the market in general and specific to the area of interest
7 all calls returned promptly - ability to call, text or email 7 days a week
8 agent becomes the "go to" person for any information buyer needs or wants
9 agent to follow through with all paperwork with full explanation of contract and process....oversee timeline for deposits and other contract contingencies
10 agent to accompany during home inspection and explain all aspects of the inspection - accompany for any additional visits to home
11 agent to go over inspection items..... help bring in experts, if needed, for further evaluations - aid in negotiating inspection issues
12 mortgage process to be reviewed - meet appraiser and obtain updates as needed
13 (lots of hand holding when needed throughout the process)! :)
14 help with changing over utilities .move in requirements
15 accompany during final walk thru - prepare for closing
16 attend closing

17 Give buyer a big hug (and a nice housewarming gift).... and wish them many years of happiness in their new home!

:)

In the event of left off something, I am sure others will come along and add to the list!

* please not eiin my part of NJ we use attorneys for our closings, so they order title work and surveys
Hi Bernadette,

When I work with a buyer, the first thing I do is listen. It is very important to gather as much information as possible about you in order to serve your needs now and in the future.

Once we have established your goals, then we can proceed. Then I set up what we call an auto email. This will allow the buyer to receive all the homes available that fit your criteria very soon after it is entered by the listing agent. Some buyers prefer to drive by the home before deciding to view the interior and some just want to get going. Either way, I ask my buyer to email me their schedule - the best times for viewing - and I do my best to fit that schedule.

I ask the buyer to send me the MLS #'s of the properties they are interested in and I map them out and make the appointments.

Once the buyer decides to make an offer, I will do the negotiating for you and set the appointment for the inspection. I always attend the inspections, because I want first-hand knowledge on what it is that is wrong, so that there are no gray areas when asking for compensation or price adjustments or needed repairs.

Then I follow up on the dates and deadlines in the contract, loan commitment, appraisal, title policy. Then I make sure we are set for closing, review the closing statement and the final HUD and after the final walk through, off to closing we go.

This would be a typical scenario. I did not include the many scenarios that can and often do take place in the interim. I believe that I am a good buyer's agent, but I do not live in your state. I hope this will be helpful when you begin your search.