Home Buying in Coeur D Alene>Question Details

OneThree, Home Buyer in Coeur D Alene, ID

What are the radon testing requirements in the State of Idaho? Does the seller have responsibility for the test?

Asked by OneThree, Coeur D Alene, ID Thu Aug 15, 2013

Answers

7
As the buyer, I paid an additional inspection fee (~$100) to include a radon test with my house inspection even though my agent strongly advised me not to (no idea why but I don't let others decide my choice to accept cancer). The test results showed that radon levels in the house exceeded EPA suggested maximums for avoiding cancer, so the buyer paid the $1k cost of having a mitigation system installed. My house is on a cement slab, but places with a crawl space might have less issue with radon gas buildup.
Radon Testing:

The $ 7.95 radon test for Peace of mind. http://www.radonidaho.org or call 2-1-1 Idaho CareLine.

Follow the directions carefully.
The fact still remains that the seller does not have responsibility for the test or mitigation. Should he have knowledge of adverse radon levels he has to disclose this condition in the property disclosure.
The radon test is optional for the buyer and I have negotiated several mitigation systems in the past, which is not relevant to the original question.
There are no requirements by the state to test for radon and seller is not responsible for the test.

The inspectors I recommend always conduct a 'radon test'.

The properties that have come back with high radon levels, I've always worked to negotiate the seller pay for the $1,500 to $3,000 remediation system. The seller has always paid for it, however, this is not mandatory but a point of negotiation.

Find yourself a strong negotiator for an agent as well as a good inspector & lender! You'll make good decisions that way!

Good Luck with your move to north Idaho!

At YOUR service...
There are no requirements for testing, usually the buyer pays for test and cost of mitigation equipment
is negotiable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
In my 23 years as a Realtor in Idaho, I have never heard of any lender requiring a Radon test. I have had several done for my clients however.

If radon is a concern for you, make a radon test showing the home is under EPA guidelines a contingency of the sale.

Best of luck!
Usually the decision falls on the buyer whether or not they want to test. It is always something that can be asked for in a offer or the seller could have it done as a incentive but as far as I know there are no requirements to have it done.

The EPA site here has some more info on Radon in the state of Idaho as well as some contact info.