KNYC99, Home Buyer in New Hyde Park, NY

What are the pros/cons of living across the street from a grade school?

Asked by KNYC99, New Hyde Park, NY Mon Feb 11, 2013

There's a house we're interested in but it's across the street from a grade school, which is what's holding us back. We have a baby who'd likely end up going there, but we're concerned about the noise/traffic, etc. the location might bring. Is it really that bad? Is there any upside?

Answers

9
It really depends on what type of school it is. It can be noisy, hard to find parking, and always busy. However, when and if you children, they will not be far from the house, also because it is a school zone, it can be viewed as always protected by security. Please contact me if you need any help.

Christian Monge
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 6, 2014
Noisy, honking horns, no parking, cars side swiping, moms throwing book bags on cars to talk to friends..I live it everyday
Depending on the situation you are in, living across the street can have its problems because there is a lot of traffic during the day when the school buses and the cars come. The pros are that if you have kids and they go to the school they have a really quick commute.
There are generally traffic & littering problems but on the up side it is safer.
Great for kids, disadvantage, is to deal with 8 am and 3 pm traffic. I personally have many request from new customers for homes in walking distance to grade school. Its your call the value is their, its all in needs of the person buying. Good luck! Call me direct with anything else
I grew up 7-8 houses away from my junior high school and I loved it. I could leave for school 5 min before it started and there was a playground to use in the summer and weekends.

I just closed on a house literally 1 house away from a grade school in Albertson and the new home owners are really enjoying it. He does not have to get on long lines to drop his child off at school because the child can just walk right in and he can watch from his window. I would imagine that there is some noise when children are being dropped off /picked up from school and during lunch time, but otherwise I can't imagine it being too noisey. Why not take a day off from work and sit in your car during a school day to hear how much noise there is?

By the way, this home had multiple offers and was in contract in 9 days from the day it was listed.

Pros/cons really depend on personal preferences; if unfamiliar with the area take the time and revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with neighbors, watch traffic patterns, etc., then determine if your comfort level can be reached....
Thanks for the question. I would suggest that you visit the house during the times school lets in and out and see what you think. That is definitely something to take into account during your due diligence. I would say an upside, this is me as a parent, you would be able to watch your child go to and from school.

I live behind a school and i actually like the sounds of kids playing sports and the traffic is not to bad. I am in Georgia so I do not know your area, but you can research traffic and physically visiting is the most important thing.

Johnathan Kenyon
Heather Murphy Real Estate Group
Keller Williams Coastal Area Partners
o. 912-356-5001
c. 912-665-2941
f. 912-356-5101
e. johnathankenyon@gmail.com