Home Buying in West Orange>Question Details

Damien, Home Buyer in 10469

What are the pros and cons of moving to West Orange?

Asked by Damien, 10469 Mon Mar 10, 2008

Also, for $400-$450K, are there other more desirable areas in Essex County, where I could purchase a 2bdr townhouse?

Answers

12
In checking condos in West Orange, some have taken some major price reductions in your price range. Check here to see the results:
http://newmls.gsmls.com/public/show_public_report_rpt.do?rep…
Please let me know if you would like other towns.
Click here if you would like a market snapshot of any selected town:
http://www.homeinsight.com/Widget/default.asp?WK7JL36V3VLE
Sandra Bolcar
973-744-7722
sandra@thecrosskeysteam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 12, 2008
Hi Damien:
Also, I have some brand new condos in Nutley being released in your exact price range - please contact me for floorplans and specs. It's a great town with access to major shopping facilities, good restaurants and quick access to major highways - lovely parks, etc.
Sandra Bolcar
RE/MAX VILLAGE SQUARE
973-744-7722
sandra@thecrosskeysteam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 11, 2008
West Orange is a large town with quite a few different neighborhoods . It used to have two high schools at one time to accommodate the large population but now just one larger school located near the Redwood section, Mount Pleasant Avenue, Pleasant Valley Way and Northfield Avenues are the main roads crisscrossing the town. There is no direct train line to the city in West Orange but they do offer a free jitney to the train (Brick Station East Orange being the closest). You get more home for your money in West Orange but fairly high taxes seem to offset that.
I have a 3 br/2.5 bath townhome listing in West Orange right now in the Highlands which is a lovely community right next to a golf course and the unit has extensive woodlands in the back of it.
West Orange probably has the most to offer in the way of townhomes in the price range you are looking at; however, Livingston would be the next best bet. If you want to venture into Morris County, Montville also offers some nice towhomes with much lower taxes and true country living.
If you would like to contact me regarding my listing and others in West Orange, do contact me
Sandra Bolcar, Broker Associate
RE/MAX VILLAGE SQUARE
973-744-7722
sandra@thecrosskeysteam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 11, 2008
Damien,

I see you are moving out to NJ from the Bronx. If you will need to commute back into the city on a regular basis, West Orange offers very convenient commuting options as do several other Essex County communities. As far as price is concerned, you should have no trouble finding a nice townhome in the price range you indicated. In fact, I know of several units that are very nice in West Orange and surrounding towns that are available in the high $300's. Pros for West Orange would definitely be commuting convenience and, I think, very good value for the price...Cons would certainly include fairly high taxes. I would be happy to assist you in your search process and show you around the various communities that might fit your specific needs. Feel free to contact me anytime.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2008
Hi Damien
The town of West Orange is one of the more desirable towns in Essex County. and it is larger than most of the other West Essex county towns.I have clients who like WO because of it proximity to NYC via bus or rt 280, and right now there is a good selection of town homes in your $$ range to choose from. Depending on your other needs commuting, schools, etc . I also have clients who choose other west essex towns like Caldwell and Roseland,livingston where there is also good selection in your price range. with lower taxes, good schools and commuting. I can give you more + & - on all these towns also if you'd like more information send me an email @robert.lafalce@century21.com
Good Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2008
Hi Damien,

In your price range you are going to be balancing location versus condition/age. If you look in Newark or Belleville, you might get a really young unit, but the area is going to be of more urban character. If you look in higher priced areas like the Caldwells, Roseland, or South Orange, you will most likely be looking at a somewhat older unit. (20 years plus). West Orange provides a nice middle ground, where you can get a fairly young unit in a suburban location. There is also a decent selection to choose from due to the fact that there were so many built.

I would personally not buy a conventional frame-construction townhouse that is 20 plus years old. In all honesty, condominiums townhomes are generally not of extremely high construction quality. Once you get to 20 years old, you are going to be looking at replacing furnaces, appliances, windows, water heaters, A/C compressors, and glass sliding doors. Not to mention special assessments to replace/repair the roof, pool, roads, sidewalks, and other common elements.

Therefore I would favor a younger unit, but in a less congested area. West Orange and Nutley are good examples of towns in Essex County where you are going to get a good balance between age/condition and location.

Contact me and we'll go look!
Web Reference: http://www.marcpaolella.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2008
Hi Damien.

In addition to West Orange, towns like Caldwell, North Caldwell, Roseland and Nutley offer 2 (possibly even 3) bedrooms in your price range. Feel free to contact me for available listings and/or community information or search through my website. Good luck with your search!!

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential New Jersey Properties
Caldwell
973-228-1000 ext 132
GinaChirico@PruNewJersey.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2008
Damien,
I personally live here in West Orange and have seen it's growth over the years. I believe with the up coming new townhouses and condo which will include stores as well, this will give W.O. a new feel.
The town offers a Jitney bus to the train in some parts of town, and in addition one can take the NJ Transit bus into the city. On a good day one can drive into NYC in 20 minutes. W.O. has good acess to the highways and just about 15 minutes to the airport. We are just minutes away from wonderful shopping malls some of the best in the country. In addition there is a reservation area which has lots of open area that will never be built on with hiking trails as well. There are lots to explore around town.

It is possible to purchase a condo within the price range you are thinking about. Should you like to see what is avaiable, please feel free to contact my partner or myself.

SharonandKaren@PruNewJersey.com
Hi James, welcome to Trulia. Before you answer a question, check the date. This one was asked and answered eons ago.
Domien,
Roseland and North Caldwell offer value for townhouses, however North Caldwell just went through it's tax mandated re-assessment with the State of New Jersey and Roseland this year will begin its re-assessments. In fact all towns which have not started their re-assessments have to due same by 2010. This is important because taxes will more than likely jump up in many of the towns. Its the year after the re-assessment that's the kicker because the town has to make up the difference in the budget. Montclair will see a 7.6% projected tax hike from last year's assessment. With taxes and montly fees jumping it may not be a practical move if you are just able to make the monthly payments after taxes, monthly and mortgage payments. From a negotiating standpoint, towns like West Orange have many available units for sale so there should be more of an opportunity in negotiations with price. I would be glad to represent your interests as a buyer's agent in finding the right fit for your needs and specifications. Thank you for your time and consideration.

James R. Matarazzo Jr., Realtor Associate
Trusted Advisor, Skilled Negotiator, Expert Facilitator, tm
NJAR Circle of Excellance Sales Award 2005, 2006, & 2007
Premier Service-Ranked Top 1% of all realtors in NJ 2005, 2006, 2007
John Young Realty/GMAC
(973) 885-2190
http://EssexSuburbia.com
Hi Damien,

It's been a while since you posted your question but in case you haven't decided, Montclair has some great townhouses one in perticular right next to the train station below your price range. If you are still looking and don't have a great realtor to work with, you may consider us. Check our profile and if needed send us a quick line. - If you bough, enjoy it. If not, good luck!
Karen Abramson
Sharonandkaren@prunewjersey.com
There are pros and cons of West Orange and you the buyer need to decide which is best for you. Have you even considered Morris County? Lower taxes and possibly prices and better everything else.