Home Buying in Miami>Question Details

Sheena Patel, Other/Just Looking in Miami, FL

What are the pros and cons of building and living in a geodesic dome house?

Asked by Sheena Patel, Miami, FL Mon Apr 8, 2013

Answers

5
PROS:

1. A properly built dome uses about 1/2 the energy of an equivalent sized conventional home. Combined water, gas and electric bills for approx. 2,000sqf home average less than
$100 a month.
2. Extended lineage, which gives the interior of the building, a spacious and royal look.
3. Higher resistance to natural disasters like earth quakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tropical storms, floods, and much more. The dome on a geodesic home has been studied and able to resist even winds of 500-plus miles per hour.
4. One of the pros is that dome homes are resistant to heat in summer, and warmer in winter. Its extended lineage makes the dome home more airy.
5. Rapid construction and low construction cost

CONS:

1. Due to their huge structure at the top, sounds can get echoed.
2. Because of the round walls, building compartments like shelves and closets are especially challenging.
3. Hard to place furniture, no walls for art, window coverings are difficult etc
4. If you are building, hard to get permits and materials like windows etc
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
Pros, every geek will admire you. Cons, everyone else will think you're wacky.

You need to think carefully about the resale and insurance aspects of this. And I totally need to come visit if you build one.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
Geodesic dome house will fall into the category of a unique property.
This will make it un-financeable.
The appraisers will scratch their heads and say that there is nothing to compare it to.

I had this experience in the past with a client who could not buy a house like that - as no bank
would touch the house. Without comps, you'll also miss on the increase in value.

The pros are that if it is green and will save you a ton of money that way, and you are in the profession that promotes green lifestyle, or if you would use it for business (recouping your costs) -
it could work for you, but you'd need to be almost living there for free - to win.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
In Miami? Are there still hippies around? Rolling on the floor!! I am sorry, I just thought it was funny, but hey! you must invite me to the open house as well.
Geodesic Dome House the view is Fantastic. (360 grades) No always at time of sale like to buyers. Last for ever in the market for sale. No too big some of them. Where you are thinking to do it.