Home Buying in Shirley>Question Details

unsafesax, Other/Just Looking in Shirley, NY

What are the property taxes in NY state ? I see a monthly tax stated sometimes but I also see a much higher amount quoted with STAR . What is STAR?

Asked by unsafesax, Shirley, NY Sun Sep 9, 2012

For example I see a property tax per month quoted as lets say $200. Then I see a tax quote of $6500 with STAR The second figure if it's per year would be about $640 per month which is about 3 times as much. I'm confused.

Answers

6
Property taxes do vary based on exact location, ugrades, size, schools, etc. For STAR information see link below.
http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/index.htm
Hello unsafesax. If you see the monthly tax, multiply it by 12 and that would be your annual tax amount. The tax reported should be taxes before the STAR exemption, but not always. You should always verify taxes on any potential properties that you consider purchasing. You could do this by going to your the Suffolk County County Clerks office (see link below). But as stated in your question, $200/month for taxes in Shirley is not realistic and should be verified. Taxes in this area are generally around $500/mo and up.

The STAR deduction is for anyone who owns and resides in their primary residence and brings the total amount payable on your property taxes down slightly. Think of it like the income tax deductions that someone could claim on their taxes.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you the best of luck,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!

Link:
http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/CountyClerk.aspx
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
The property taxes in NYS vary by township, size of home, property size, etc. When a home is listed by a Realtor, the taxes should not reflect what they are with exemptions. You can always contact the tax assessors office for the exact taxes and exemptions.
in Shirley Mastic and Mastic Beach Areas the taxes are on the low side $5500 to 8 or even 9,000 for some of the larger bigger homes. Most of the taxes are about 7 to $8,000 from what I've seen. so don't believe 200 a month its more like 3 X that amount. Hope this answers your question? Let me know if you want to see any homes ?

Paul Peluso 631-399-2400 cell
website : http://paulpeluso.com
email :paul@paulpeluso.com
The realtor should always quote the real estate tax as the amount it would be without STAR. STAR is an owner occupied discount on real estate tax.
Hire a buyer realtor. The realtor will check what the real estate tax is on a particular home. Each home in Shirley has a different real estate tax.

Paul Peluso 631-399-2400 cell