Home Buying in Fort Greene>Question Details

Cesear, Home Buyer in Fort Greene, Brooklyn,...

What are the prime streets in Fort Greene? Where a female would feel safe walking alone.?

Asked by Cesear, Fort Greene, Brooklyn, NY Tue Mar 23, 2010

Answers

6
Hello Ceasar, Rocco Parascandola writes in today's NY Daily News; A 62-year-old Italian tourist visiting his daughter in Brooklyn was shot and wounded in a scuffle with a thug who snatched her necklace, police said Monday. The incident happened Thursday night and the suspect, Tyron Lovick, 36, was arrested Friday and charged with attempted murder. The victim, Luciano Giuliani, and his 28-year-old daughter, Eleonora went shopping at Target in the Atlantic Terminal mall. About 9:50 p.m., as they were on their way home, the suspect approached them from behind near Greene Ave. and Cumberland St. in Fort Greene, police said. Lovick snatched the daughter’s necklace and ran west on Greene Ave., but her dad chased him, police said. He caught up to the suspect as short distance away, and in the ensuing scuffle the suspect pulled out a .32 caliber revolver and shot Giuliani once in the abdomen, police said. Lovick then ran off, leaving the chain behind. Giuliani, who police said is not related to the former mayor, was rushed to Kings County Hospital. He underwent surgery, in which a piece of his colon was removed. Police said he is expected to survive. Eleonora gave police a description of the suspect, including the detail that he was wearing a Yankees cap. Police then spotted the suspect on surveillance video from a nearby building. Police said someone who knows Lovick told police who he is.
Lovick was arrested at his home on Fulton St. the next day and charged with attempted murder.
He was held on $300,000 bail. He suggested to police that he didn’t mean to shoot Giuliani and that the gun “went off” during the struggle, court papers say. Lovick has about a dozen arrests, police said, for charges including gun possession, robbery and grand larceny.
Check out the Brooklyn Paper for additional updates on what's happening in Fort Greene
http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/35/12/fg_88blotter_2012…
I suggest going to the local police station and asking...also, be sure to walk around the neighborhood a few times at different moments of the day in order to get a better sense...
Web Reference: http://MichaelDvorkin.com
Hey Cesear, I live in the neighborhood.

I love the area where Fulton meets Lafayette. Pequena, Havana Outpost, new bookstore & the G Train. Dekalb avenue has a lot of restaurants and bars, too. Also, the closer to the Atlantic Ave stop the better, since almost every subway in NY runs through that station.

As far as safety, This is how I feel: I wouldn't live on or near Myrtle Ave. There are bunch of shady projects up there.

However, From Fulton up to Dekalb or Willoughby, from Flatbush to Washington, is beautiful. It's like sesame street. Very diverse, safe, neighborhoodly, great shopping & restaurants, Amazing transportation, beautiful houses. I would have no problem with my sister or cousins walking home from the subway at night.
Cesear,
As you may know, in recent years, Fort Greene has undergone lots of changes and many of the newer residents middle to upper income homeowners. That having been said, even desireable areas such as Fort Greene are subject to crime. I would keep your eyes open for neighborhood news online. Try, outsidein.com, nyc.everyblock.com and gothamist.com to start.

As far as prime streets, depending on what you consider prime, I typically see a lot of interest in South Portland, South Oxford, Lafayette...all good choices.

If I can help you with your home search, my contact information is below. I look forward to hearing from you.

Janine Acquafredda
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Weichert, Realtors - The Franzese Group
1524 86th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11228
Cell (917) 584-7685
nycrealestatepro@yahoo.com
If you are concerned about safety, your best source of information is the local police department; why not visit/call and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If you are not familiar with the area, drive through the neighborhood more than once and at different times of day, look at everything that is important to you, chat with the locals/neighbors and if the opportunity arises and inquire.