Home Buying in Lutz>Question Details

Bill Johnson, Other/Just Looking in Lutz, FL

What are the main questions I should ask a real estate agent before I decide whether I want to use them?

Asked by Bill Johnson, Lutz, FL Fri Dec 5, 2008

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Lutz

Answers

10
Julia Vakulenko’s answer
Call them. Email them. Those who answer their phones and respond to emails right away are the ones on top of their games and will be able to respond to your needs whether you're buying or selling.

Most agents today have a second job and may not be able to devote the necessary service you may require.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
Bill,

I have to agree with Julia. If the agent answers your call or e-mail that's a pretty good sign. You'd be surprised how many agents just don't answer their phones or call people back. If they are listing your home and a potential buyer calls on it for information it's safe to assume they probably won't answer their call either.

Erica Muller
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 6, 2008
I would really wait to see what kind of question the agent asks you.

For example... do they just ask how many bedrooms and baths... or do they ask why?

Do they ask about what is important to you?

Dig deeper... if you want a big yard... do they make assumptions about what a big yard means to you? or do they dig deeper to discover if the big yard is acreage or a city size lot with room for a swing set and puppy dog?

A good agent will ask good questions of their home buyers... go with the buyer's agent who has the best understanding of what you're looking for.
Dear Bill:

I would ask to see their marketing plan for my home. If they cannot show me much, I'd be worried. If they pull out multiple 3-ring binders.....whoa!........You have probably found someone who can create lots of exposure for your home.

Best of Luck!!
Web Reference: http://www.jerrifurniss.com
Use the one that calls right back or at the very least answers their phone. This will show you how much attention you will get when you need it most - the sale!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 6, 2008
Bill,

This is a wild market we are in! If you're looking to buy (as there are so many deals) than you may want someone who is versed in both short sale and foreclosure negotiation and understands the demands of today's market. You may want to ask how many homes they have sold this year. You may be very surprised to find many agents in this market have sold very few, if any...
I have personally sold 14 homes this year, closing my last 2 the week before Thanksgiving and have 1 short sale contracts in place for buyers and 2 on my listings. I am a full time professional and would be happy to provide references.
Please visit my website to search homes http://www.Homes4UinTampa.com.
Yours to count on!
Mark Zabilowicz
813-849-8554
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 6, 2008
Helo Bill,
There are a lot of agents that will offer you the world when they are in your home to get the listing. What you will need to know is what type of exposure that agent will get your home. Maximum exposure is what you are truly seeking. Make sure that all of their marketing materials are high quality and full color. Check to see what different print publications they will market your home, again make sure to get high quality (and in color) ads.
One of the other things that will make a huge difference to you is that agents availabilty. YOu will have questions throughout the process and will not want an agent that will not return your calls in a timely fasion.
Most importantly, go with your gut. Choose an agent that you like as a person. If there is a level of comfort on both yourself and the agent the transaction will go much smoother.

Some points to bring up are;
1) What type of internet presence does their company site have. This is huge!! Most of the buyers today are there first. You want your home on the most viewed site in your area.
2) Print ads- where, how often, quality and size
3) What type of lead capture devices do they have in place to capture the interested prospective buyers. They need to be able to capture the interest at its peak.
4) What do they have in place to keep you up to date on what is happening with every step of the way. Make sure that they eill answer the phone when you need them.
5) Make sure that they will give you ample lead time before showing your home. 24-48 hrs is best but not always possible. Feel free to let them know what times that the home will be off limits for showings.
6) Check the quality of the marketing pieces that will be used at the open house or for any other reason. Make sure that the pictures are perfect and the flyers and brochures are flattering to your home.
7) make sure the photos that are taken are good for the first impression. This is what will gain the initial interest in your home if the pictures are bad the interest will be lower.

I could go on forever on this but I won't, for now at least. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me.
I hope that you have a great expierience selling.

Sincerly,
Leif Mermagen
Nothnagle Realtors
585-576-9406
Leif@Nothnagle.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
Determine if they can work around your personal and professional lifestyle. Good agents will want to q & a you prior to starting a search confirm you are qualified and approved for a loan.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
You should look at their answers to questions on trulia
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
Hi Bill,

Would you be using them as a listing agent or a buying agent? It will make a difference......
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008