Home Buying in Buffalo State>Question Details

Amanda Colson, Home Buyer in Buffalo, NY

What are the first steps in buying a home?

Asked by Amanda Colson, Buffalo, NY Fri Nov 9, 2012

We are looking into buying a home within the next six months and I don't know where to begin any help would be appreciated.....

Answers

11
De Vonte Williamson’s answer
Hello Amanda. The first steps in buying a home are;

1. Making the decision to do so.
2. Developing a team (i.e. Real Estate Agent, Mortgage Advisor/Loan Officer, Attorney)
3. Get Pre-Approved through your Mortgage Advisor/Loan Officer
4. Determine your Budget & All the Financials
5. Relay your needs and wants to your Real Estate Agent
6. Begin House Hunting
7. Find the Home that you fall in love with
8. Make an Offer & Negotiate the Offer
9. Home Inspections
10. Contract Signings

These are the beginning steps of buying a home. If you would like a complete list, please email me at DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com and I would be happy to provide you with a complimentary guide from the beginning to the exchanging of keys.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
http://cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
http://devontesellsny.wordpress.com/
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
Contacting a Mortgage Broker, or the home loan officer at your Bank. Either way, they will check to see if you qualify for a home loan. The credit requirements for a Mortgage Broker (620-640), may be different than those of a Bank (580-640), so shop around, and only go with someone who you truly feel comfortable with! Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 1, 2013
The best thing to do is to find a Realtor that can help you along the way. Read my blog about first time home buyers. Then give me a call! 716-912-2915

http://www.realestatewny.com/five-tips-for-first-time-homebu…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 9, 2012
The first thing to do is to start interviewing Realtors to help you through the process. I would suggest doing this now, rather than waiting six months. A good Realtor will help you create a timeline to plan out what you can do in the next six months to move toward your goal.

The market is very much slanted in favor of sellers right now, so having an agent who is experienced in representing buyers in a competitive seller's market is crucial. One of the questions you should ask is whether or not the Realtors you are interviewing have experience representing buyers in multiple offer situations, as your are liable to come across this once you find your home. Ask the Realtors what strategies they have to help your offers stand out from the crowd.

Once you've chosen a Realtor, he or she should sit with you, explain how he or she will work with you, and provide you with a written guideline explaining the process of homebuying to you. Additionally, he or she can help you find a reputable mortage banker (if you'll be financing the home), and a knowledgeable real estate attorney to help you through the closing process.

Should you start interviewing agents, I hope you will consider us as well.

Jennifer Maxian and Michael Culeton
The Maxian Culeton Team at HUNT Real Estate ERA

Jennifer - (716) 946-6112 - jennifer.maxian@huntrealestate.com
Michael - (315) 402-0208 - michael.culeton@huntrealestate.com
Talking to a mortgage broker or bank is a start, also interview a few agents to represent you as a buyer's agent. Not every agent is the right fit for you, and working with one you are comfortable with is important. Make sure the agent you choose has a website that is updated daily directly from their local MLS so you know you are getting up to date home listings.
Begin by getting Pre-Qualified by a local lender. This will tell you at what price range you should begin your search as you peruse your chosen website for properties. Next is to find a local Realtor to be your Buyer Agent. With these 2 individuals on your team you will be well on your way to finding a great property.
I absolutely love working with first time home buyers. First, decide on a location(s). Second, I'd get pre-approved or pre-qualified for a mortgage... just to get an idea of where you stand and what you can afford. Third, I'd find a Realtor willing to work for you. Your Realtor will guide you through the entire process as well as locating properties within your range. Not every Realtor is the same! Make sure you find someone your comfortable with. Feel free to contact me, I'd love the opportunity to work for you.

Leah Krajewski with Hunt Real Estate
(716)997-7812
leah.krajewski@huntrealestate.com
First find a city only agent that works local and understands the nieghborhoods. Call me
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
If purchasing with a mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously, therefore begin by visiting with any licensed loan officer; also choose an agent to work with....
Your first step should be discovering what you can afford. Talk to a mortgage broker to get the best sense of what your limits are, types of loans you are eligible and discuss the loan process for you.

Second, make sure that you have all supporting financial documentation to back up your per-approval from the broker; this will save you so many headaches in underwriting.

Third, start looking for a real estate agent you feel comfortable working with. Then meet with that agent to go over your needs as a home buyer. Sit down with them, go over the locations you would like to move to, the price range, bedrooms, garages, acres, taxes. They can help you narrow your search.

Then, make sure you have a lawyer. They will make sure your paperwork is in order once you put an offer in on a home. I do hope this helps.

Debbie Bond
Century 21 Gold Standard
c21bond@gmail.com
315-243-7504
Before you do anything at all, see a mortgage broker/banker (better than a bank) and GET A FULL PRE-APPROVAL!!!!

The difference between a pre-approval and a pre-qualification is that on a pre-approval (for which you should not have to pay anything), they look at 3 months of bank statements, 3 months of pay stubs, 3 years of income tax returns and they verify everything.

The pre-approval will then give you an idea of what price range you should be looking at in a home. Do NOT buy to the limit of your approval; you may still want to fix up the house, go out Saturday nights and take vacations....don't become house poor.

A full pre-approval should be contingent upon an appraisal and a contract...it equates with being a cash buyer!

You can find me at 631-425-6150 and I will be more than happy to guide you from start to finish...no obligation. I teach real estate to Realtors and train Realtors nationwide...happy to lend an educational hand.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com