Home Buying in Rochester>Question Details

margaritasel…, Home Owner in Rochester, NY

What are the chances that I can win an appeal with the city of Rochester to re-zone my single family house back to a duplex?

Asked by margaritaseley, Rochester, NY Tue Aug 27, 2013

The house is a rental unit, and has been unoccupied for almost 2 years due to tenant damage. The Zoning Authority states that I have to file an appeal nad prove hardship to re-zone it to keep it as a multiple dwelling - it has been converted back to a single. Shall I just go with the single home status or file an appeal?

Answers

3
Richard Coake.com’s answer
The folks at the zoning office themselves will tell you the odds are heavily against reversion to a 2-family dwelling. Your appeal will likely waste money and time, and cause you much frustration.

The wise owner of any income property retains a property manager to maintain a house and keep it profitable for the owner-investor.

Contact me whenever you like to review whether that smart choice might apply to your property.

RichardCoake.com
RCoake@Rochester.rr.com
585.223.4449
I understand the city is trying to convert multi-family houses back to single family to attract more homeowners and uplift the spirit or the city as a first place to buy and live. Unfortunatley, if your house has been vacant for two years due to a tenants neglet, you most certainly should appeal due to hardship. As far as your chances of winning, I can make a few phone calls for you through some
connections I have. Please call me and I will advise you after I have more facts. I dont think you should settle due to the cities interference with your zoning.

Linda Allyn Welborn
Keller Williams Reality GR
585-341-8736
The answer depends on where in Rochester the property is. Whether the City is likely to grant your request to convert it back to a duplex depends on the density of your street and neighborhood. Is the street zoned R2? Also, the location of the property will determine whether you are better off renting it as a single family or a duplex. In cetain neighborhoods, single family rentals are very common and rent well. In other neighborhoods, single family rentals are not as common and do not rent as well, yet duplexes do.