Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

JC, Home Buyer in Hartford, CT

What are the best suburbs (safety, school) in Charlotte, NC? Price range 500,000-750,000

Asked by JC, Hartford, CT Sat Apr 19, 2008

Possible move from CT. Based on preliminary research, best fit would be Matthews/Weddington area???

Answers

15
JC,
Your concern about the 'south' and intolerance is a valid concern. With any big move like you're making, you certainly want to feel safe, secure and above all, satisfied that you've made the right decision to relocate to Charlotte.

All I can say is that Charlotte beaming with diversity resulting from it's continuing population growth and positive economic conditions. Charlotte is certainly one of the crown jewels in the country in terms of economic conditions and quality of life.

From a practical viewpoint, when working with buyers and hunting around neighborhoods - I never hesitate to knock on a few doors, politely introduce myself and ask about their experience as current residents of the neighborhood. Often times, you'll get more information than you'll ever need to satisfy those questions of security, safety, etc. And, it's also a great way for me as a professional to become quite close to areas I specialize in.

So, look at homes but more importantly - get to know the residents of your favorite neighborhood. You'll know when it feels right.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 2, 2008
Dear JC,

The Matthews/Wedding area is great but also look a little further west in Union County into the Marvin or Waxhaw area. There are new school there and a lot of great features. Check out Providencs Downs or Somerset subdivisions.

You can go to my website and search by Marvin or Waxhaw, or Matthews or Weddington.

Another idea is you are interested in the lower taxes of South Carolina is Fort Mill and Indian Land. These are great areas and have some very nice, new subdivisions. As I said, lower SC taxes both property and income.

Let me know how I can serve you.

Have a blessed day!
Sara Rich
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 2, 2008
Schools with the highest student academic performance usually are located in attendance areas that are very affluent. Research shows that this correlation does exist for whatever the reasons. Consequently, any area with $500,000 - $750,000 homes will have high student academic performance. Suburbs that have homes in this price range include, but are not limited to south Charlotte, southeast Charlotte, Lake Norman, areas on the Catawba River and areas immediately south of Charlotte.

This excludes Magnet School Programs. In some instances, students in magnet programs have outstanding academic performance regardless of where they are located.

You may find it useful to identify schools with the highest student academic performance by visiting http://www.cms.k12.nc.us and dpi.state.nc.us. Additionally, information on crime statistics in various Charlotte neighborhoods may be obtained by visiting http://www.charmeck.org.

.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 2, 2008
Hi JC,
Feel free to check out the school report cards on my website, http://www.yolondareedy.com I think that would be helpful. You mentioned that you need to be close to an airport so I would suggest these areas: Providence Road area, Ballantyne area, Fort Mill SC, Tega Cay SC. Waxhaw is also a top choice.
I would be happy to send you a list of homes or answer any other question you may have.
Yolonda
Web Reference: http://www.yolondareedy.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 27, 2008
Hi JC,

There are a lot of factors to consider, one of them being where will you be working and how long a commute you want? Charlotte has grown tremendously over the last 5+ years and the traffic is a consideration when trying to decide where to live. I live and work in Matthews and I have children attending Elizabeth Lane Elementary, South Charlotte Middle and Providence High School. I am very happy with my decision to live here. I also have relocated several times nationally and internationally and I know first-hand the complications and stress involved. I would recommend you visit my website for useful links and neighborhood searches at http://www.TeresaQuinan.com you will also find my contact information if you would like to discuss your needs further. Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon.

Take care.
Regards
Teresa Quinan
Web Reference: http://www.TeresaQuinan.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 19, 2008
Hi JC:

Matthews/Weddington areas are certainly great for families, as is North Mecklenburg (Mooresville, Lake Norman, Cornelius area) and even Cabarrus County (Concord, Kannapolis & Harrisburg). Cabarrus County is located to the NE of Charlotte. There are some excellent public and private schools. There is also the Carolina International School http://(www.carolinainternationalschool.org) which is a Charter School located in Harrisburg which is in Cabarrus County. I like the Carolina International because of the international exposure offered by the curriculum.

I have two children and completely understand the importance of choosing an area with great schools. I would encourage you to go to http://www.ncreportcards.org which I have found very useful in searching for the best schools.

I actually specialize in relocation having relocated expatriates from the USA to/from Europe and Asia, including my own relocation experiences having moved from the UK to Hong Kong to the USA so I would be happy to talk to you further to better understand your needs.

Another resource I encourage you to look at is http://www.charlotteparent.com. I'm not sure, but you may still be able to access their list of public and private schools together with the grades.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Trish MacDonald
Team Trish & Kathy
Helen Adams Realty
Ranked #1 in the Nation for Quality Customer Service
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 19, 2008
I have seen no problems in the Weddington, Waxhaw and Marvin areas. I know a Korean family in Weddington and we have quite a ethic mix in the entire Charlotte Metrolina area. I do not think that you will find problems here in these areas or most other areas.

From this area of Union County, it is easy to get onto I-485 which runs very close to the airport. There are also several subdivisions closer to the airport in area 7. You might want to check out the 28278 zip code or even parts of the 28273 zip code. This is close to the Mecklenburg side of Lake Wylie.

There is also easy access to the airport via I-485 to Mountain Lake area. This would be area 42 on the MLS search of my website. Mecklenburg County is divided into a number of real estate areas for easier MLS searches.

If you have any other question, let us know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 19, 2008
Hi, If you can be about 30 minutes on the north side of Charlotte, I would highy recommend Mooresville. It was rated the #65 city in the US by Money magazine in 2007, the highest in NC. I have a lot of local information on my website. Good Luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 19, 2008
Dear JC,

I work mostly in the south part of Charlotte and my suggestion is to look in the Weddington, Waxhaw or Marvin areas of Union County, NC. This is just south of Mecklenburg County and is still in an easy drive time to Uptown Charlotte. The taxes are less in Union County and I have sold a lot of homes in this area to clients who have done a lot of research on schools, etc.

There are some lovely subdivision. Please feel free to go to my website and search the entire Charlotte area MLS to see what home take you interest. Go to area 10 - Union County and choose Marvin, Waxhaw and Weddington to see houses in these areas.

Let me know how I can serve you. I work all of this area and also into the area of South Carolina that are close to Charlotte. Taxes are even lower in these areas. Both property and income tax is lower in South Carolina and is still in easy drive to Charlotte.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 19, 2008
To your question about intolerance, my parents live in New Delhi India. My brother's wife is Japanese-American. And at the moment I have 7 clients who are Asian. I am originally from East Los Angeles where most if not all of my friends were Chinese, Japanese or Hispanic. I moved to Charlotte for university and stayed here because I love the area and job market.

There is intolerance everywhere. But Charlotte has prided itself on trying to overcome these barriers. There are diverse cultures even within the Asian community. And you will find a great opportunity to help us continue to make it a better place for all of us.

Call me and we can talk.

704-858-2345
SOUTH CHARLOTTE, Area 4, Area 5 and Area 10.

I specialize in the areas of Matthews, Weddington, Waxhaw, Marvin, Ballantyne and South Charlotte / SouthPark. I have worked for 10 years with some of the best Custom Builders and am a Custom Home Specialist. Eight of my clients are currently buying and building homes in these areas, and I have shown or previewed in person most of the homes on the market already and can distinguish which ones are worth your time to consider.

Call me: 704-858-2345

Nate Wolf, Custom Home Specialist
Good morning, JC
If you have not found what you are looking for, you might want to read the Trulia Real Estate Blog "Which areas surrounding Charlotte would be a nice place to relocate?" There are some detailed suggestions about the area and schools there. Matthews - Weddington and surrounding South Charlotte and North Union County areas will have a lot of opportunities. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
The best fit would be based on your families needs.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Thank you all for your answers. Im new to Trulia and reviewed the trends and stats but couldn't get a good feel for the nuances among the different neighborhoods.

If I accept the job, my job would require heavy travel so my commute would be the airport, not, downtown. Ease of access to the airport (but not near the airport!) would be important but obviously secondary to safety and schools.

One other concern (perhaps completely misguided). Are the stereotypes of southern racial intolerance accurate? I am Asian and my wife is caucasion. I can choose to live in Miami, Charlotte, or Atlanta. I would prefer Charlotte, based on the great feedback of others but am not sure what the social climate is (which is also a reason I might rule out South Carolina). I don't mean to offend anyone with this perception of your state(s) but I want to make sure my family would be welcomed before I make this move.
JC,
Some of the stats you want are right here on Trulia. Just go to the Stats & Trends tab at the top and click on Charlotte, NC this will give you crime statistics and school data. You can also look at some outlying areas of Charlotte, Huntersville, Matthews, Pinville, or even further north toward Lake Norman. So if depends on your needs and wants. There are quite a few good agents from Charlotte that are on this site. So you should get some more infomation soon. I use to live in Myers Park but, that is an older established neighborhood closer to downtown.

Good luck and happy house hunting,
If you need any help or a referral just drop me a line.

Larry Story
Coldwell Banker Triad
larry.story@coldwellbanker.com