Home Buying in Orange County>Question Details

Olghi K. Szaz,  in 92660

What are the best areas to buy in Orange County CA?

Asked by Olghi K. Szaz, 92660 Wed Nov 14, 2007

Answers

9
I've lived in CDM for the past 6 years, but like Luke said Laguna is the charmer of charmers. I'm not fond of CDM culture, but the walking community aspect is awesome and we have a good deal on our rental. However, when it came time to decide where to buy, Laguna and CDM are not exactly first time buyer zip codes. We thought maybe Lake Forest with its many greenbelts and low prices, but we really wanted to stay closer to the coast. I scoured East Side Costa Mesa as first choice, but found that we were still priced out of that area. The west side had properties in our range. It seems that the Mesa areas have a wider appeal than say the south west, but we didn't like the uber suburbia feel. The south west is closer to the coast and the homes are bit older, smaller and just offer a liitle more diversity. My husband is thrilled that he will still be able to come home from work and ride his bike along the coast, which isn't really feasible in the Mesa Verde or Mesa del Mar neighborhoods. I really got the sense that for resale value, we should have chosen one of those neighborhoods, but ultimately we decided to stick with the south west as it suited our tastes and lifestyle better. Of course, everyone has different tastes, so when you are deciding on which community to buy in, you ultimately need to be subjective and focus on your tastes and lifestyle.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 10, 2008
My fave is Costa Mesa, the balance between best priced, closer to beach (than inland), lots of renters and owners with surrounding large corps., nice living. If you live and work w/in 5 mi., you can avoid the freeways driving to/from work.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 15, 2007
I need an apartment for rent for 4 months with furniture 1 bed room kithchen and bathroom min 500 max 700 please help me?
Olghi, Do you want the best price, best location, best view, large sqft for the best price or are you trying to figure what area is the lowest and will go up the fastest? All of this matters when you do a search.
Olghi, I think I'd clarify if those were the best areas Nov 14, 2007 or March 28, 2009.
Irvine and surrounding areas! Though I must admit I'm biased. In the 20+ years that I've been an Orange County resident, I've lived in Irvine and Aliso Viejo and that is where the overwhelming majority my clients ask for me to find them homes.

Now, that being said... looking at the serious side of things, we've recently seen how the coastal areas, south orange county, and communities on the ocean side of the freeway, have held their values most strongly in this changing market. It's also important to look at the school systems, which is why Irvine has maintained such a strong market hold even through this slump.

So, I do believe ALL of the answers below hold some merit and each has made a good case for why *these* are the 'best areas' to buy in the OC.
Web Reference: http://www.TheJillKTeam.com
Hi there Olghi, What does best mean for you? Orange county has an abundnce of wonderful cities by the sea, in the mountains with amazing views, So it really depends on your personal tastes. Many people want to live by the beach, but like any neighborhood there are pros and cons

If you would like to see any homes that interest you and find out all about the community please feel free to visit my site and you can search by any city in Orange County,
If we're looking at the true definition of "best", then I would say somewhere along the Riviera, either in Corona Del Mar, Laguna Beach, or Newport Beach, in a large, modern home with panoramic ocean views. Some of the hidden, private beach communities in Corona Del Mar and Laguna Beach would be my first choice (Laguna would most likely win out).

If you're like 99% of the country and are not looking to spend that much money, then I would agree with Carrie on certain parts of the city of Costa Mesa. East Costa Mesa, particularly the area surrounding the shops and restaurants of 17th Street, is my favorite place in Orange County if you value good schools, an eclectic environment, good shopping, fantastic coffee (Kean coffee is the best coffee I have ever had), shopping, night life, and close beach proximity. It has a more down to earth Corona Del Mar vibe.
Olghi,

I would love to answer your question. What does best mean to you? Would you like me to look in my crystal ball to tell you which areas will go up the most (or down the least?). Are you looking for a single family residence, townhouse, condo? Do you work out of your home? If not, where do you work? Do you want to be close to the beach, hiking trails, or fabulous malls?

That being said, Los Alamitos & Irvine tend to hold value on the strength of their school districts.

Karen Miller