Home Buying in Ventura>Question Details

Lisa, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

What are the best areas of Ventura for single, young professionals?

Asked by Lisa, Atlanta, GA Tue Aug 2, 2011

I may be moving to Ventura for work, and I was wondering what the best areas for young professionals are close to the city. I'm a 26-year old female , and I'll be working downtown. I'd like to find a close-in neighborhood neighborhood where there are lots of other young professionals, and I'd like to be close to good restaurants, and shopping.

I don't want to live in the suburbs. I prefer to live in an area where there's lots to do. Any suggestions on which areas of town I should check out would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

8
Lisa, coming from Atlanta, I think you are going to love Ventura. The weather is amazing and of all the places I have been, it's still the best in my opinion. I plan to retire there someday, when my husbands work doesnt take him into LA county so often.

I'd say downtown! I grew up with my Mom taking me downtown on weekends and it got kind of run down a bit over the years but they have been revitalizing it beautifully. There is still a mix of cool shops, with thrift stores and there are still plenty of homeless in the downtown area - if you're homeless, why not live in one of the best beach communities. There is a true night life here with great dining spots, live music.... and busy coffee shops. Savory is one of my favorites for Sunday breakfast. Ventura has a vibe to it that is like no other.

Up above the courthouse there are beautiful homes, some small, some big all ecclectic. Some of this area is walking distance. There was a building the nearly rebuilt that is more like eco friendly condo's. Depending on your budget, there are lots of choices. You may want to come and rent for a small time and get a feel for what you like best. Let me know if I can help you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 2, 2011
You will want to stay close to Main Street and Thompson, west of 5-points. However, try to avoid going too far up the Avenue. There are some dozen current choices from the MLS under $400,000
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 2, 2011
Hi Lisa,

Both downtown and Midtown areas seem to attract more younger singles or couples. The homes have more character than the East end tract homes that give more square footage for the money and therefore, attract growing families. Downtown Ventura over the years has grown into a very fun, hip area with great restaurants and a wide variety of bars with music and dancing, plus art galleries and a couple museums. I love downtown Ventura as it is also close to our beautiful beach. When you are out here for your next interview I would be happy to show you around and orient you to the various areas. Prior to then I can send you some listings of homes and/or condos that might be of interest. Just call me at 805-415-2255 or drop me an email at maggiehoodhomes@yahoo.com
Hello Lisa - Great question. Welcome to beautiful Southern California. You have been lucky to wanting to purchase after we appear to have reached a pricing bottom. And you will be able to save as high as 50-60%
of the home price, compared to just 4-5 years ago.

And yes, like Bonnie has said, you will love the community of Ventura. Downtown is in a renaissance that we have not seen in years. What was once a sleepy Main Street at night, now has late night dancing, dining
and we haven't even begun to mention the beach.

The question though is what is your price range? Suburbs is a no what sounds like your lifestyle and as you've said, but downtown nightlife is going to run you much higher than say East Ventura. It is much
much higher due to the lack of newer home development surrounding the downtown area.

Do you like Victorian style, spanish or traditional, either way chose an agent who can work with you by email NOW and you will be able to see what properties are out there now.

In sounds like your a Poli or Thompson or Laurel Street buyer. These homes can run as low as 300K as
a fixer to as high as $550K. You will want to be walking distance from Main Street that is why I have
chosen those addresses.

Not to worry though ,the internet brings Ventura right to your laptop, like you are here already.

We specialize is relocation clients, and are strictly a buyers agent, which is what you will want also.

Good Luck Lisa, and again, your about to start a journey and chapter in your life that will be both
rewarding and challenging at the same time since I am aware that Atlanta has a medium price
range much much lower than this area of Southern California, minutes from the Pacific Ocean.
Lisa,

Ventura, Camarillo, and Oxnard each offer some great places to live based on the criteria you shared. We only have one Freeway that connects Camarillo and Oxnard to Ventura, but traveling in between is not that burdensom. This area of Ventura County offers nice areas for you to consider. West Ventura offers great communities to live in, as does the Seabridge area of Oxnard. Camarillo is a a litte further south, about 15 miles, but offers some great living areas nontheless. I'd be happy to be of further assistance if needed.

Jorge
Web Reference: http://www.jorgedeleon.com
Anywhere around California. If you don't surf learn how. Ventura is the bomb! If I wasn't so happy in San Diego I'd make Ventura or Santa Barbara my next roost. Have fun. Surf's Up!!
Lisa, Need to know what you like to do for fun. Midtown and downtown are minutes away from the sunnier east side. Ventura is only about 7 miles log from east to west. Fog is an issue from late May and we are still having it in late July which is unusual. East side, east of Victoria Ave gets more sun and the construction of many of the homes are newer. Your price point would be helpful to find the most for your money in a safe environment with access to things you love to do. Give me a call. I have lived here and have been a broker for 29 years. I know the area well. Lauren Williams 805-320-2234
Hi Lisa
How exciting! I hope that you do move here, I believe you will love it! Ventura offers so much from the beaches, to the mountains nearby; there is something for everything. It is rich in culture and arts, feels like a small town, but it has a lot going on underneath. You're best bet would probably be midtown area or actually downtown. There are condos in downtown and midtown has small, charming, older homes with a lot of character. Let me know if you would like any further or specific information. More than happy to help!