Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Mark, Other/Just Looking in 20007

What are the best Chicago suburbs and why?

Asked by Mark, 20007 Fri Jul 4, 2008

Answers

25
Brandon,

#1 I think you need to take a fun pill, Elvis has his name and contact info in his profile. The Elvis thing is to just have some fun.

I just reviewed Elvis' post and fail to see where he is steering. I guess I would be upset if I had to live and work in Berwyn.
Please note, Brandon, that nowhere in my spiel, Laura's, Bob's or Marian's did any of us say "this is where you should move" or anything of the sort.

We were asked which are the best Chicago suburbs, and we responded with "I love where I live, and here's why". We made no comments regarding any protected classes, no religions, no races, no ethnicity whatsoever.

It's no different than someone coming into my office and asking... "so, what do you think of Evanston?" and I am allowed to respond as I did. It'd be a different story if I'd said, "Evanston has a wonderful African community and you'd fit right in".

Sorry... grievance board or no, I have to disagree with your interpretation of what's been said and what can be said... I feel confident that I would survive any grievance board with what I've said, and I vehemently resent your implication that anything I've said was "just to get a sale".
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
After reading all of these answers, I would have to agree with Elvis, that giving someone basics about a community is not "steering". As a local agent, you should be able to tell your clients about the areas they are looking in...for instance the proximity to Chicago, the shopping, the taxes, are there golf clubs, parks, walking paths, movie theaters, restaurants...you are not trying to convince anyone to move to this area, just providing factual information on what the different communities offer their residents.
Steering is a huge concern and most agents who would try to convince you to buy in a certain town or area would be in violation.
~~~~~~~~
Stating that Evanston is a wonderful community, with culture, access and Northwestern University is not steering, nor would it be considered a violation of the fair housing act, nor the code of ethics.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Sorry for my mistake, you must be trying to steer people to Berwyn by putting RE Pro in Berwyn. LOL

I know you don't make the rules, you also don't understand them. Please post Elvis' post and then break down each sentence so that we may understand

ELVIS QUOTED........I think Evanston is a wonderful community. A nice blend of city & suburb. We have an active, thriving downtown, with many shops and restaurants. Plenty of beaches and parks, access to everything through the EL and Metra, as well as a quick hop to major highways.

Near enough to Chicago for theatre, museums and major events (such as Taste of Chicago, etc...) and yet far enough to feel suburban. We have a wonderful cultural diversity and plenty of home-spun activities like our recent downtown Arts Fair, and yesterday's 4th of July parade (one of the largest in Illinois) and subsequent fireworks display.

Evanston is also home to Northwestern University which brings an excitement and vitality to our already wonderful community.

DOES EVANSTON NOT HAVE A THRIVING DOWNTOWN? IS IT NOT ON THE LAKE? IS IT NOT NEAR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AND HWYS? IS NORTWESTERN UNIVERSITY NOY LOCATED THERE?

That is called stating facts, steering would be saying this area may be a bit too culturally diverse for you.

For instance I work in an area where a third of the Chicago police live in so I let my clients know and take what they want out of that information. I don't say it is very safe because of the number of police.
Elvis ... I'm sorry that you disagree. All I can suggest to you is to call the IAR and ask them. One more thing also and I'm sure you'll disagree again but you're on here as a Licensed Real Estate Agent / Broker. You're giving adviseabout common real estate questions. Are you aware that any and all uses of the internet, via emails, blogging etc. you're suppose to use your real name during any introduction of yourself. Using the name Elvis doesn't cut it.

I'm sorry, I don't make the rules.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brandon, we've actually spoken on the phone, since you posted, and I think we do have an "understanding". I have cleared my post with an authority that you and I agree on, and she indicated that there is nothing about what I said that would be considered "steering" or an FHA violation.

She did indicate that we have to walk carefully, on that fine line, to avoid any hint of steering, and I think that's what you're trying to get across... that it's very easy to cross that line, so just be careful when you talk about neighborhoods, vs. houses. I get that.

re: the Elv!s thing, as you're aware (since you contacted me), that's just a fun screen name, kind of "handed" to me, from my blogging on Zillow... as you point out, when handing out real estate advice, all of your contact information should be there... and mine is.

... and I need to point out... I'm not on trulia mining business. For me, it's a fun mental exercise and just like you, I'm "trying to be helpful".

Thanks for reining me in... but I don't think any lines were crossed, thus far, regarding steering in this thread.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
I am not a realtor, so I can say what I want. And for the record, it seems like everyone said what they like, not what the person who asked the question should do, didn't see any "steering" here. And I would think those laws apply to clients not people asking questions open to the general public.

What suburbs? I'm biased, I love Evanston, I went to school there. Its nice and close to the city, but has its own great amenities to enjoy so you don't always have to go to Chicago to do something fun. Another suburb I love is Oak Park. Also right outside the city, but to the west instead of north. Also, great things to do within Oak Park. I like that aspect of these two suburbs, able to have fun (go to restaurants, see a movie, close to shopping, events, etc.) closer to home if you don't want to head into the city. Both with good school districts. Also, a nice quick commute, and commute should always be considered in Chicago.

But I know some who don't want to live north of the city and prefer the south suburbs. Others prefer the western suburbs, others want to be exclusively on the North Shore, it all depends on the person. Just remember, there are great ones mentioned here, and so many more that are also great that haven't been that shouldn't be written off.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 8, 2008
Hi, Mark. It depends on what you consider to be the features of a best suburb. Fair Housing law prevents agents from "steering" you to a particular area, or away from an area. I have sold homes in many suburbs, as I let my buyer-client tell me what they like in a community, and we start looking there. One did her own research to find the safest community, another looked for best kayaking sites, while another wanted either best public school gifted program or closest to private gifted school. (People's opinions of what makes a good school can vary... same with "arts" in the community, and even how great the library is). What defines "best" to you will give us the answer. Email me or call, and we can talk, based on what you like and are seeking!
Web Reference: http://www.itsmymove.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 7, 2008
I'm not saying where I live is the BEST suburb of Chicago, but I love it here. I am a resident of Oak Brook and love the convenience to everything. We have a wonderful park district, the Polo Club, the Bath & Tennis, walking trails, golfing, great shopping (Oak Brook & Yorktown malls), tons of restaurants & the proximity to Chicago. We are close to Downers Grove, Westmont, Naperville, Hinsdale, Lombard & Elmhurst.

Property owners pay no tax to the village of Oak Brook as it is paid for primarily by sales tax receipts, so our property taxes are lower. We are headquarters to McDonalds, Blixtex, Ace Hardware & Lions Club International.

Those are some of the reasons I love where I live.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 6, 2008
I live and work in Evanston, the first northern suburb along the lakefront from Chicago.

I think Evanston is a wonderful community. A nice blend of city & suburb. We have an active, thriving downtown, with many shops and restaurants. Plenty of beaches and parks, access to everything through the EL and Metra, as well as a quick hop to major highways.

I vote for Evanston. And, sorry Lynn, it's not a violation of the code of ethics to say so.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 5, 2008
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
If you have no price limitations, then Barrington Hills with all the open space and 5 acre minimum zoning is about the best. Prices can start at $650,000 and go up. Bring your horses.
For a more modest budget, Schaumburg has great housing variety, great parks, great schools, great jobs, great transportation, an airport, a train station, very low taxes, great shopping and great culture.
Web Reference: http://www.realtybob.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 5, 2008
I truly feel that a good debate is productive.
~~~~~~~~~
I can't disagree with that.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
I talked to Terri myself and I even received a email fom NAR and Realtor Magazine. I guess this blog was looked at by a few people and they agreed that it was a fine line.

Brandon

Just to update and be thorough... I received an opinion from a source at IAR, through our contact at the board, and their opinion was that my statement does not constitute steering. You would have to go further than a statement of "cultural diversity" to be considered steering.

My manager and the board did agree, however, with your statement that "online blogging and what Realtors are saying" has become a major problem, and that agents should treat "online blogging" no differently than having a prospect sitting in your car.

I guess there's that "fine line" we were discussing. Okay folks, let's be careful out there.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Al (Elvis),
Thanks for the email and to make it clear I called Al and left him a message. He was nice enough to call me back. We discussed this issue and as far as I'm concerned it's cleared up. Al spoke with someone who I have a great deal of respect for and has a great deal of knowledge with this. This person did clearify "Steering" and even though this may not have been "steering" it's a fine line. Al and I had a nice conversation.

As for the "Berwyn" comment, Berwyn is one of the towns I do business in. My office is not located in Berwyn. Because the towns are listed alphabetically, Berwyn is the top town on the list. If you click the link it will show you all the other towns.

Al ... thanks again and I'm sure we'll speak soon.
Brovo Elvis for steering, I mean staring down Bandon/a.k.a I don't live nor work in Berwyn but it looks good as a RealEstate pro logo.
It takes a pro to call the authorities and get a clear interpretation which you did.

Signed,
Your West Burb fan
One more time ... I don't make the rules. I was just trying to be helpful, but now it has taken a turn to getting personal by insulting me, behind a fake name (Carlin), with no contact information. That's called a "coward" in my book. If you want to get personal then insult me to my face. I would love the chance to meet you (Carlin), but then again people like you hide under rocks.

I don't live in Berwyn and my office is not in Berwyn.
Dang, hang on, I'm out of popcorn...this is getting great!

Too bad Berwyn can't be put on this list of recommended areas to live....

I'm sorry, I don't make the rules.
Laura,
I completely agree with you and the fact that you agree with Elvis. I served as the Chairman for the Grievance Board for the West Town Board of Realtors for 7 years. Every year we had to attend updated seminars on all the new items that were getting Real Estate Agents in trouble.

This online blogging and what Realtors are saying is becoming one of the largest problems. If someone came into your office and asked what's a good town to live in, we can't touch that question. Blogging is no different. People are coming on here and asking for recommendations as to where is a good town to live and Realtors are yelling out "specific" towns.

By giving levels of populations, transportation, schools and things that pertain to that kind of makeup, we're fine, but when we start talking about "anything" that discusses "cultures" you're really running a thin line. Cultures can easily be construed as ethnic backgrounds and that falls under Fair Housing.

I'm truly concerned that there are agents out there that lack education on this and are willing to say anything just to get a sale.
You tell em Elvis!

I'm not a Realtor so I will steer! Evanston is a beautiful community, a bit pricier than Bartlett but a great community that is close to the city attractions.
Mark,
Steering is a huge concern and most agents who would try to convince you to buy in a certain town or area would be in violation. Many of these questions and answers on websites, such as this, is watched and monitored. Agents can answer "basic" questions, like populations and transportation options. If you have a specicfic questions like this then most Realtors can help you to make decisions.

I live in the suburbs myself with my wife and 2 daughters. I was raised here and I enjoy it.
Bartlett has my vote....and my money. Great schools (and yes,we are in U46!) Metra station in town and that nice country feel if you live on the western edge of town.

Code of ethics...hmmmmm.....
Mark,
We are headquartered in the town of Libertyville, IL. There are so many suburbs in Chicagoland and it really depends on what you are looking for. For example, some suburbs are better for access for commuting into the city, others are better for their school system (or worse for their school system). Some are better for young professionals, others are better for 55+. Email me and tell me what you are looking for and we would be glad to help you narrow down your search.
The Schaffer Realty Group
Marian Schaffer
877-886-8388
contact my operations manager at terry@marianschaffer.com
Is there a published report local to your area, and professional realtor cant comment on that violation of your code of ethics. http://www.lynn911.com