Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

sharialhoward, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

What are the average taxes for a 3 bedroom house in Chicago zip code 60653?

Asked by sharialhoward, Chicago, IL Thu Jan 10, 2013

Answers

4
David Hanna’s answer
Can you tell me more about the specifics of the property you are using this information for comparison? more to the point, what is the purpose of the question?
As Angela stated, the range is quite wide, and to get the answer you are looking for, more data is needed.
email me at jmichaels@remax.net and I will send you my list of 3 bedroom with their tax rates
Sharia,

Again, huge range here. From under $1000 for an older home with a senior freeze to the newer homes on Oakenwald with $10,000 tax bills.

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
The average is going to be a little deceptive; but the range recently has typically been between $2500 to $3500./year. However, if the property was not owner occupied (i.e., it was owned by a developer/investor) the taxes might be double, because the current owner is not getting the benefit of a homeowner's tax exemption. Similarly, those properties with taxes that are on the low end of the range might be benefiting from a different type of tax exemption that will not apply to the buyer/new owner, as would be the case if a senior citizen (or the estate of one) sells a home where the owner had a senior exemption. Each home is going to have different circumstances: exemptions; other interior & exterior property features/improvements that have/have not been reported for valuation; owners who have filed an appeal and requested a reassessment of their property value.