Karen, Home Buyer in Union City, NJ

What are the advantages of pre-war buildings besides lower price? Worried about issues of mice/roaches in these older buildings...

Asked by Karen, Union City, NJ Wed Mar 17, 2010

Answers

4
Karen, pew-war buildings are common in Hamiltom heights. Some of the features of the pre-war bldg in general is, solid construction (they simply don't build 'em like that any more!), large room size, high ceiling heights, large Kitchens, windows in every room, ample closet space and usually good proximity to the subway.

as for pests, they are around there's no doubt. Just about all building have aggressive preventative approaches to keep the little buggers in check as much as possible. Don't sweat it too much.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 20, 2010
I agree with all the answers, Pre-War is certainly solid constructions and with a good management firm the building will be properly run. The rooms are built larger, the walls and floors are solid, the lobby are usually grand adn wide. Hamiliton Heights was highly sought after in the turn of the century. I'm sure you have a gem, but if you need assistance feel free to contact me for all your real estate needs and best of luck.

Tony Lara
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
tlara@crrnyc.com
Pre-war buildings are a matter of taste/choice, like any other buildings they will have pluses and minuses based on personal wants, needs, lifestyle. As for pests, unfortunately they can exist just about anywhere, no matter the type of building--older or newer, etc.
Some people like the uniqueness and charm of a pre-war building. They often have higher ceilings and larger rooms, but on the other hand may not have large walk-in closets or new kitchens/baths. You can get an unrenovated unit for less money, and renovate it as you like. As far as mice/roaches go, you may have to hang around the building and ask current owners about that, and hope they give a fair answer. Just an FYI, even my aunt and uncle's $10 million apartment on Fifth Ave. had some roaches, it almost seems like it is a way of life in NY.