Question Details

S, Home Buyer in New York, NY

What are the advantages/disadvantages of usin a real estate agent when looking for an apartment?

Asked by S, New York, NY Wed Feb 25, 2009

Answers

4
Dave

Of course every homebuyer's situation is unique, we all can agree on that.
The screening process and time is the key to your question.
ADVANTAGE: An agent could clear up some of the major concerns with hows coming and when.
The agent's duty is to get the best possible price and terms for the buyers and sellers.

DISADVANTAGES: Time and can they Afford the rent, most landlord request credit checks.
How safe is the apartment, you might not kown the area that well.

There are some listings that are in house only. But if you are comfortable with an agent, employing
the agent to work for you can save you time and money. Today you are a renter, tomorrow you are the buyer and I'am that agent. GREAT QUESTION!
Thanks...I guess I should clarify...what are the advantages/disadvantages of having a broker to negotiate a deal? Can splitting the broker fee between buyer and sellers agents reduce the ability to negotiate the price?

As far as real good apartments in my taste and price range, I've seen pretty much everything online that brokers have been showing reccomending me, at least in this current state.
To me is the screen for both the rentee and renter. Also the real good apartments do not show up online or has a sign in front of the door.
There's nothing like pounding the pavement when looking for a place to rent, but the more lines you have in the water the better.