Home Buying in Louisville>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some tips for first-time home buyers?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Sun Mar 4, 2012

Can you share some of your top advice or tips for home buyers?

Answers

8
Get pre-qualified for your loan and familiarize yourself with the market so you will know what sort of numbers you should be looking at for properties. You will have much more leverage when making an offer and have less worry when shopping around.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
Be sure to get your financing lined up in the very beginning of your process. This is probably the most important snag today.
You need to get pre-approved for a mortgage loan first and see what loan programs are out there for you. Once you find out how much you qualify for and what your payments would be along with out of pocket costs, then you can start looking into which neighborhoods fit your needs and wants.

Read more about my blog for first time buyers in Louisville at

http://www.mylouisvillekentuckymortgage.com/

Joel Lobb (NMLS#57916)
Senior Loan Officer
502-905-3708 cell
502-813-2795 fax
jlobb@keyfinllc.com

http://mylouisvillekentuckymortgage.com
Breathe! Buying a home for the first time can be an emotional roller coaster. Find an agent who has experience working in the area that you are most interested in, this will help out a lot in the run. Let the agent know up front what your goals and expectations are for your purchase and try and be specific about what you are looking for in a home.

Have fun and enjoy the experience!
In my short time as an agent, I have seen plenty of "experienced" agents that were just plain twerps to both deal with and to their clients. I think that a first time home-buyer should have someone who will not lose them in the shuffle of other clients--especially other clients who are more profitable.

Even in my very first buyer transaction, it was not experience that got them through a deal that just had hurdle after hurdle. It was my tenacity and the duty I felt towards my client. And being tenacious, as well as versatile, is the way to get things done in today's market. It's not like it's been for the last 20 years, so you need more than just experience.
I agree with 1st 2 replies. Work with an experienced agent and listen to their advice. It can be a fun experience. Good Luck!
The first and most important tip is to find a realtor who knows the market you are looking in, is up to date on changes that have taken place and that you are comfortable with. Buying a home should be a team effort. You telling your realtor what you are looking for in a home and them quiding you through the process. It can and should be a fun journey, with the outcome home ownership.
Check out the link for helpful tips.
That's funny you asked... I'm updating that page on my site now... Please see the link. You can also read a few blog posts on real estate education - http://www.joehaydenrealtor.com/blog/category/real-estate-ed…