Home Buying in Indianapolis>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some tips for first-time home buyers?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Sun Mar 4, 2012

Can you share some of your top advice or tips for home buyers?

Answers

6
You received several good tips from the agents already. The only advice I would add is to work with a lender that can provide financing for USDA and IN Housing(if you are buying in Indiana), as USDA does not require a down payment and IN Housing provides down payment assistance if you meet their parameters. I also know a reputable lender that has their own down payment assistance program that provides another benefit as well for a first time buyer.

Dan Mervar
Remax Legends Group
317-523-9412
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 4, 2012
A key first move is finding a knowledgeable lender. You really need to know what price range is best for you. Also, the realtor that you choose to help you on the buying side really needs to know all of your needs and work for find what is best for you. Make sure that your realtor also sends you the recent neighborhood sales on the homes that you like. You want to study those with your realtor and make sure that the home that you choose to pursue is a smart value. If you would like my assistance, my cell # is 317.496.0027.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 4, 2012
Ahhh, there are so many! Some of the key ones:
Financing. Find out your credit score. See how much house you can afford, do not forget to factor in not just the monthly mortgage payment but also utilities, insurance, HOA fees, etc.
Research all the areas you might want to live, not just now but what about five years from now? Schools area big factor for folks to determine where they want to live as are taxes and lately, proximity to shopping etc (seems more and more people want to be close but not too close). Make a needs and wishes list and then start assessing houses based on that.
Partner with a solid Realtor. You deserve to have someone who is not just patient but knowledgeable and will not waste your time by showing you homes that are not a fit. You need someone who will be honest with you and keep you on track. Sounds like a relationship, eh? Well, it is. Find an agent that you feel comfortable with who will go above and beyond to help you find your new home.

Hope that helps
Claire-Anne Aikman
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 4, 2012
My recoomendation is to make sure the Realtor will represent you! I mean really, whether it is to stay in a home purchase all the way to closing with sound advice OR if it is to get you OUT of a transaction that is obviously bad and not in your best interest. What I mean by that is if a major defect is descovered during an inspection and the seller is unwilling to remedy or fix to your level of comfort, your Realtor should be representing you and what is best for you by getting you out of that deal with as little financial harm as possible... not pushing you to close just so "they" can obtain a pay check. Remember they work for "YOU", but I would head their advice, too. You can't think something is a major defect if the inspector says it is routine maintenance. There are always two sides to every story.

Also, check out http://www.in.gov/ihcda First Home Plus allows you 6% toward costs (with Income restrictions) or go to http://www.inhp.org they have awesome programs as well. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Jackie
Meet with an experienced Real Esate Broker and Realtor to learn the tips face to face and secure recommendations for quality lenders who can meet your needs. You might even visit a few properties in your selected locations to get an idea of what really is available in the marketplace today. You might even check out some new construction with your Broker.
Are you looking to buy in Indiana? If so, your first step should be to find a Realtor that you feel will meet your needs, and most important, find one you can trust. I would like to chat, feel free to call me 317.455.5478.
Web Reference: http://TheVearusGroup.com