Home Buying in El Paso>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some tips for first-time home buyers?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Sun Mar 4, 2012

Can you share some of your top advice or tips for home buyers?

Answers

3
Chris 832-607-8073’s answer
The myth of location location location being the criteria for buying a home only works if you have an unlimited budget. Location is actually a subset of price. 

First understand what you qualify for comfortably-work with a Mortgage professional to determine your budget.

Second draw a circle based in distance you would consider driving/commuting to your job. (ia that 10 minutes, 30 minutes?)

Third - identify neighborhoods in the circle that are in your budget- drive the neighborhoods to see which ones you like best.

Fourth- find a Real Estate professional that specializes in these locations/neighborhoods to help you with the rest of the process.

There are many great agents out there, but not all of them have specific knowledge of the areas that you will be focused on, I'm a Broker owner of a firm and am in the process of relocating to Denver. One of the agents showed us several homes in the area at the top end of our budget and nothing seemed to click. We ended up renting. In doing our circle excursive we found an area in Denver that meets all of our criteria that is $100,000 under our budget that they never showed us,

Do your research, find professionals to work with, and the rest will be easy!

I always appreciate the thumbs up and if you really like my answer, reward me with the "Best Answer" I really appreciate it!

Chris Schilling, ABR,CRS,GRI,GREEN
Turbo Realty
Broker-Founder
Direct: 832-607-8073
Web Reference: http://www.turborealty.com
I love love first time home buyers, the excitement, the expectations and then finding that first home. So with your Realtor and Mortgage Person find your comfort level in monthly payments and the different options you have. This can be done at no cost to you. You might qualify for a million dollar home but those payments! Then what is important to you – area, schools, distance from work, what is around the area, single story to two story, how many bedrooms. Pool, huge master suite, refrigerated air, how many garages. Make that dream list and then have your Realtor perform a data search and see all the homes that match your needs and dreams and voilà have fun looking. It is a great time to buy, mortgage payments are lower than rent and the choices - Olalla Enjoy and Good Luck

Cynthia Ann Morris,
CNE, CRS ,CSP,ePRO, GRI, TAHS,Texas Property Tax Arbitrator,Certified Real Estate Instructor
Sales, Property Management and Investing First Time Home Buyer Specialist
Short Sales and Foreclosure WE BUY HOMES
Broker-Owner Serving you and all of El Paso County.
I want to be the only REALTOR ® you will ever need
Web Reference: http://www.EPHomeSearch.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 4, 2012
Make sure to have a realtor representing you, if you call the agent
On a house you like, most likely this agent will represent the seller also. Make sure you have an agent to represent your interest and only your interest not the interest of the seller