Home Buying in Cleveland>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some tips for first-time home buyers?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Sun Mar 4, 2012

Can you share some of your top advice or tips for home buyers?

Answers

2
Work with a Buyer's Agent so that your interests are represented. Many people think they can get a "deal" by working with the Listing Agent, but what happens is they end up unrepresented because the listing agent is already committed to getting the best price and terms for the seller. Sit down and do a consultation with the agent before deciding if its a good fit for you (and for the agent). If it is, give your trust to that agent and know that in return you will get the benefit of their knowledge, expertise and perhaps most important, their time! Once you've met, your agent can help you narrow down the field to what is really important to you and fits your budget so you don't waste time seeing homes you can't have or really don't want. The process *is* fun and a good agent takes away most of the stress by educating the client so there are few surprises. My buyer's agent is super - if you're coming to the Cleveland area and we can help, just ask!
Diane-The Real Estate Dreams (RED) Team at Keller Williams Greater Cleveland Southeast
Web Reference: http://NEOhioHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
The following link is a beginning...

http://homebuying.about.com/od/buyingahome/bb/shopping1sttime.htm

You should find a Realtor who works a lot with first time buyers. A Realtor who will really help. My advice to all my "first-timers" starts with...."If you aren't having fun, stop looking!" Buying a house, whether your first, middle, or last home....should be fun. You should be enjoying the process. If you are not, stop. Don't look at 30, 40,75 homes. You don 't need to see that many to make a decision. In fact, too many showings causes panic, indecision, and insecurity! You will just KNOW when you find the house. And, if your Realtor has really heard you and what you want in a home, they will find it relatively quickly....I average 8 showings at a time...sometimes less. After that, it's overwhelming and causes "memory loss" about the homes! My favorite moment is when my buyers walk into a home, and their eyes light up....and they KNOW! It's so exciting! And it DOES happen!! And then you are REALLY having fun!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 4, 2012