Beth, Home Buyer in 94521

What are some safe, family neighborhoods in Concord?

Asked by Beth, 94521 Sun May 8, 2011

My husband and I are now looking into purchasing a home in Concord or Pleasant Hill. We initially wanted Pleasant hill because it seems safer, but prices in Concord are a lot better. We have two young children. Safety is a major issue and we have heard mixed things about Concord. We currently rent in Walnut Creek so are not super familiar with the Concord area. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Answers

11
I have buyers who love an area called The Crossings. Good-sized homes built in the 1970s, with a clubhouse, swimming pool, and a greenbelt. Another popular area, with slightly smaller homes, close to schools and shopping is Clayton Valley Highlands, also known as the state streets (street names include Delaware, Michigan, Washington, etc.). Close to the state streets (and thusly also close to schools) is Dana Farms. All of the three have plenty of families with children, all close to schools, shopping, commute corridors. I would recommend different areas depending on your budget and your family's specific needs. Also, I live in one of those areas myself, and so am quite familiar with the areas and what you'll find in each. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to go exploring!
If you live in Walnut Creek then I wouldn't move to Concord, Pleasant Hill would be a better choice in my opinion, since I ran my business there for twelve years. Your closer and more centralized to most things, smaller town feeling, But I'm an agent in Walnut Creek with Coldwell Banker and I would be glad to find the right home for you and we have great software that can give us information about the area of your interest. And paying a little more sometimes doesn't change your mortgage by that much.

Tim

925-200-0233
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
Hi Beth,

I can completely understand your concern as far as Concord goes. I live in Concord and have two crazy little boys so safety is a major issue with us as well. If you're up for chatting about the neighborhood here and your options, please feel free to call. (925) 549-0314

Best of luck to you!
I an a big fan of "Crystyl Ranch" http://www.crystylranch.net and "The Crossings" http://www.crossingshomes.net.

These both have larger homes, nice community centers and events, and active HOA to keep everything clean. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Craig
(925) 381 6577
Web Reference: http://www.craigbosse.com
Beth,

I have lived owned and have rentals in Concord, not to mention numerous friends and clients who currently live ther and nothwithstanding any statistics, crime has not been much of a problem. Love the area and access to amenities and its close enough to Walnut Creek and the San Ramon Valley to take advantage.
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
Concord is a wonderful city! While we as agents are not allowed to steer you from or away from certain areas, I'm posting a link that may be useful to you in assessing the areas you are looking in.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx

Please feel free to call or email me if you would like a list of homes to start viewing.
Hi Beth,

I am a Real estate Broker who recently bought a home in Concord and we are very happy with our decision.
We love the neighborhood and would be happy to discuss this with you.
Generally the price of a home will dictate what neighborhood you will look for your new house.
There are many great deals in Concord and Pleasant Hill.
Please contact me to discuss this concern.

Stuart Levitas, Broker
Astound Real Estate
925-858-5830
Hi Beth-

I agree with Terry- do your homework in any of the neighborhoods that you are considering. Concord has so many wonderful areas- close to shopping and highways. Talk to the neighbors and look into the schools and I think you will find many charming areas in Concord.
As realtors we cannot "steer" buyers to one neighborhood over the other. I understand your concerns. Your best bet is once you know what you qualify for is to seek homes in various areas that fall within your price range. Check with the Concord police dept for crime activity in those various areas and go from there. Crime is everywhere , whether Walnut Creek and /or Pleasant Hill..... Concord has had some issues with gangs and muggings in a few areas and looking at the crime activity logs will give you a better understanding of the areas you are seeking to purchase in as to the extent, if any, of any crime activity. Drive the neighborhoods of the areas of interest at various times. See what activity is going on...Does the neighborhood overall appear to have well kept homes? Does some homes have multiple cars in front and/on the street? You will want to check out the schools as well. Talk to neighbors of potential house prospects........Most will be upfront with you and answer your questions. Just let them know you are thinking of purchasing in their neighborhood. Be proactive in your purchase and always ask questions and pay attention to your gut.
Also it would depend on your price range.
Turtle creek is alway favorable. I've had clients buy in that area.