Home Buying in Boston>Question Details

mwt137, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

What are some safe, affordable places to buy a home/condo in the Boston area?

Asked by mwt137, Boston, MA Thu Oct 25, 2012

My wife and I would like to buy a home in the Boston area, as we both have accepted jobs there. Our biggest concern is safety, so we would like to avoid areas that have higher crime rates. In addition, here are some of the criteria we are looking for in a home:

- Budget of $315,000
- 2 bedrooms, though 3 is ideal
- Accessible to Harvard Square via public transportation (30-45 min commute or less is ideal)

Does anyone know of any good towns and neighborhoods that might have homes that fit these criteria?

Answers

6
Watertown and Waltham are some great options which meet your criteria. Watertown is less than 8 minutes drive and offers accessible public transportation to Harvard Square. Even more affordable is Waltham. If you and you wife have not yet found a buyer's agent to represent you and and assist you with your real estate needs, please feel free to contact me directly. This is the marketplace I work in and would be more than happy to answer more of your questions in depth.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 25, 2012
Hi. Mostly good answers below. from where are you coming ? Give a call at your earliest convenience.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
If you were my client, I would recommend you Waltham area. Most single family homes area around the price range you mention and it is a nice neighborhood close to Boston and serviced by public transportation.

There is lots of info in the Internet and also you want to check police boards web sites to complement your search. A starting site can be: http://www.everyblock.com/

Please contact me to help you finding your new home in the Boston area.

Welcome to Boston,
Jaime Fernandez-de-Castro
One person's comfortable criteria is another's limit.
Choose a real estate professional and hire their experience to help you.
I would contact a local real estate professional to help with this answer.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
There are definitely a lot of options available to you in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, and Arlington including a few single-family homes at this price range.

As far as location and safety are concerned, I always recommend my clients to first identify a few keys areas that they are most interested in and check them out at various times of the day as well as days of the week (a neighborhood can feel quite different on a Saturday night than on a Wednesday afternoon). After they identify the areas that they are most interested in, I advise them to contact the local Police department to get the specific crime statistics for the area - nothing tells the story more than the actual facts.

Gary Dwyer, Broker / Owner
Serving Greater Boston Home Buyers Since 2005
Buyer Agents of Boston, LLC

you can check crime rates on the web. Check out: http://www.cityofboston.gov/police/stats. Some areas that are close to Harvard are Cambridge, Somerville, you can also check out Arlington, Medford.. Also if you are ready to buy I'd suggest getting a buyers' agent to assist you. This will not cost you anything and you will not only be represented but have someone at your side that can answer questions you may have along the way. If we can be of assistance, let us know at info@wenrealty.com. If you want to get properties updates on properties on the market as well as sold ones let us know. Best of luck
Web Reference: http://www.wenrealty.com