Home Buying in Santa Paula>Question Details

Melissa, Both Buyer and Seller in Simi Valley, CA

What are some pros/cons of moving to Santa Paula, CA?

Asked by Melissa, Simi Valley, CA Wed Apr 16, 2008

My husband and I are very strongly considering moving to Santa Paula, CA (from Simi Valley), and we want to hear from anyone who lives or has lived there what they have experienced living in this area. We have a toddler, so we are looking for a family-friendly area with good schools. We have also looked into Fillmore, but the "vibe" in Santa Paula seems to be more our style. Anyone have any input to share?

Answers

11
Stuart Monteith’s answer
Hi Melissa,

I am a Realtor in Santa Paula with over 20+ years experience in selling Santa Paula real estate. Our office is located in the Vons Shopping center in the middle of Santa Paula. It is like "hometown USA" here in Santa Paula. We have fabulous weather, ez drives to any location.......17 mins to the beach (and fog). If you are ready to look in Santa Paula, give me a call and I am happy to give you the 'tour" to give you a better feeling for Santa Paula neighborhoods.

Stuart Monteith
805-218-7242
Past President Ventura County Coastal Assoc. of Realtors
Realtor of the Year 2007
Agent of the Year (SP Troop office) 2009
Hi Melissa, Since you mentioned you have a toddler, I would have to give a little Mom advice. I too looked at moving out of the area when my oldest was about 2 or 3. My family lived and still lives in Simi. We really wanted Ventura but found it out of our price range. We looked at Santa Paula as an option. We looked that North Carolina too. And before he was born, we considered Seattle. My suggestion is this, look ahead 5 years and 10 years. What do the communities have that would suit you now, what do they have that would suit you in 5 years and again in 10. We tend to look at where we are now. When I help people with toddlers buy I home, they most often arent thinking about if the home is in a school or school district that will meet their standard. Does the area have a low crime rate. What type of access to services, both emergency and enrichment will your family both desire and be able to obtain easily. Sometimes, when people look out a little ahead and a little further, they make a choice now that suits them better in the future. We dont have the guarantee that it will be what we desire but we do have the ability to think ahead and decide what we think will set us on the path to bring us the most happiness. Simi is a really great place to raise a family. A little hotter in the Summer than I'd like but overall, it's good. As a matter of fact, one of my first clients was a family that used to commute from Fillmore to bring their kids back to Simi schools everyday. They tried to relocate back here. They had moved for new construction affordable housing but really didnt like the community. That is just one families experience. However, my husband is a volunteer with the Ventura County Search and Rescue Fillmore team and he loves Fillmore because it reminds him of Simi Valley when he grew up here, lets just say before they put the 118 through. So, it's a really personal choice but I would do some more investigating. I know that there was talk of a new community out there called Fagan Canyon. It was going to be a master planned community but my guess is with the housing market, it has been tabled. I know an agent in Fillmore, she probably works Santa Paula too. Her name is Kristy Neal with Prudential. She's a Mom of three and might be able to share with you the family stuff as well as the Real Estate stuff. Her email is info@kristyneal.com Good luck in your decision.
Hi Melissa,

I just wanted to check in and see what decision you have made regarding possibly moving to Santa Paula. I don't want to influence you take on the market trends or preference for neighborhoods, etc., but I know of a great "off-market" deal on a newer 3+2.5 (over 1,800 sf) detached house in Santa Paula's Las Posadas tract - built in 1989. It's not on the MLS and the price is $360,000. We would need to move rather quickly (for you to preview the property and express an interest or not) --- otherwise, the deal will be gone.

Please let me know if this is something you would like to pursue.
You may want to rent something before you buy to make sure you want to get rooted in a new city.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 11, 2008
Hi Melissa, I have lived in Santa Paula all my 64 yrs of life. Raised 3 kids here. They were involved in all sorts of activities starting with story hour in our local library, Indian guides and brownies, and all sports, soccer,basketball,tennis,swimteam,baseball, bobbysox,girl scouts, piano,dance lessons, gymnastics. They went to local schools and then went to St..Bonaventure for hi school and on to college. They turned out to be great people with great jobs. My grand kids are going through the same activities. We are very involved in the community. I retired from teaching at our neighborhood schools. My husband was the mayor and city councilman. Santa Paula offers a quality of life with great mild weather and no extremes. Simi and Fillmore have a hotter weather. We are 20 minutes from Fillmore. We are 10 minutes from Ventura, 20 minutes from Oxnard.. We are 30 minutes from Ojai which is much hotter. Santa Paula gets the afternoon ocean breeze that comes through our valley. We are surrounded by orchards and get the blossom scents. We have been all over and everytime we come home we always marvel at our community. New development is popping up so be aware of it if you want a new home. You're welcome to our community.
Thank you so much to everyone who has reponded to give me input! We have pretty much decided that Santa Paula is where we want to live - we are now just watching the market and waiting for the right listing to appear (or one of the houses that are a little out of our reach to come down some more). Again, thanks so much for helping!
Not sure if you have made your decision yet. But just thought I'd provide a little info for you. I currently live in Fillmore, however I grew up in Santa Paula. Though Fillmore is nice, I prefer living in Santa Paula. It is a little bit closer to Ventura and other surrounding areas. Santa Paula also has more shopping and restaurants than Fillmore. I think Santa Paula is a great place to raise children. It is a small town, so you have less traffic and pollution and the scenery is beautiful, lots of trees, mountains. In general, I'd say the majority of the people are nice too. There are many activities you can become involved in. The Santa Paula Community Center provides many activities, my neice goes to gymnastics there and she loves it! Steckel Park is fun and there is a great hiking area near St. Thomas Aquinas College, also the drama club at Santa Paula high school puts on great plays! I have lived in other cities, San Jose, Ventura, Camarillo, and Fillmore. Santa Paula is definitely my favorite!
Melissa,

Realized I should have given you a bit more info. about the Santa Paula Community. I'm not sure whether you are a stay-at-home mom, but if you are...I think you will find other moms in the community to meet and get involved with. I have found that the library story hour each Wed. at Blanchard Community Library (we have the best children's librarian!) has been a wonderful opportunity to connect with other moms of toddlers. I have also been involved with a park day group that meets each Fri. The ages of the children vary, but it has been a fantastic opportunity to get the children together to play and to chat with the other moms. We also do beach days in the summer! The churches in Santa Paula are another terrific way to connect with the community and find other families that have your same interests. I hope this info helps.
Please email with any other questions or concerns. terriewalz@verizon.net
Hi Melissa! I have lived in Santa Paula for the past 5 years and have loved it. I have four small children and have found the community to be warm and very family friendly. When we first moved to Ca. we lived in Fillmore for a bit, but I must say that I prefer Santa Paula. We are much closer to everything.....the beach, shopping, etc.
Actually, we are moving out of state this summer due to a job transfer and I keep thinking how much we will miss this town.
We do have our home for sale by owner now in a very family friendly neighborhood. We are next to a large lemon orchard and within walking distance to Bedell School.
Feel free to contact me if you want more info on Santa Paula or if you would like to see the house.

Take Care! Terrie
Melissa,

I was hoping to find a contact for you in Santa Paula. I am still trying. What you might try is if you belong to any, groups, clubs, organizations or church; maybe they have a sister group in Santa Paula that could get you the information you are looking for. I have never lived there so I won't even pretend to tell you about Santa Paula. I've been there a dozen times, but that is it.

I you need a free value check on your house in Simi, I'd be happy to assist you.

have a great day!

Ted Mackel
Simi Valley
contact information is in my Trulia profile page.

P.S. I posted the link to my blog below. There is infomation on Simi market conditions there.
Santa Paula is a very quiet small town. Mostly agriculture and services. Its about 20 mins from the larger cites of Oxnard and Ventura. Not quite like Simi as it has grown over the years. Nice little town, good luck!!!