Home Buying in Honolulu>Question Details

Amy, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

What are some of the more popular areas of Honolulu for young single professionals to live?

Asked by Amy, Atlanta, GA Sat Sep 3, 2011

Honolulu is one of two cities I have the option of moving to with my employer, and I was wondering what are some of the more popular areas for young, single professionals to live close to the city?
I'm a 25 year old female, and I enjoy living close to the city where there's always plenty to do.

I would like to live close to good restaurants and shopping, and have easy access to public transportation.
I've lived in a very nice condo for the last 2 years, and I think I'd prefer to continue living in a condo or townhome.
Thanks in advance.

Answers

5
Hi Amy,
What is your other location to compare to? This matters!
Myself and many many other young professionals live in just a few places, mostly near the south shore outside of Waikiki. The Reason? This is where the jobs are, the recreation is, and the other young people are located.

I have a few rentals in Moiliili and Pualei that are are always filled with interesting people. I also cater to the international grad school market and they all want to live close to, but seldom in, Waikiki. There are some great options for you. I would suggest moving over and renting for 6 months so you get to know what matters to you. It can be difficult finding a 6 month rental, but I specialize in them exactly because of this. This allows flexibility for the renters and they tend to stay a bit longer than the 6 months lease.

Give a call anytime and we can discuss Honolulu more in depth. I am originally from Alabama and would be happy to share my thoughts and experiences with you. I can also connect you with 2-3 other clients I have in Atlanta that are trying to find the exit door there, but make sure the professional door stays open in Honolulu when they arrive.

Be sure to also look at my video blogs both on my website and on my you tube page, this will allow you to see who I am and learn a little about the market here.

Much Aloha,
David Nash
808 271 2223 M
Web Reference: http://www.TheOahuAgent.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 5, 2011
I would recommend the Ala Moana area. You are close to downtown, shopping, restaurants, nightlife, the beach and Waikiki. Living in Waikiki could be a little overwhelming for some but maybe not for you (think hundreds of tourists everywhere you look). Honolulu is a great city and Oahu is a beautiful Island, there are so many urban things to do as well as activities in nature. I recommend that you learn to SUP(stand up paddleboard) or surf. You are missing out on half of Hawaii's beauty and fun if you stay on land the whole time.
Rich Bosselmann
(808) 345-5085
richbosselmann@gmail.com
Aloha Amy:
You probably want safe as much as you want convenient. Waikiki is a nice place to visit,
but not necessarily live. Surrounding neighborhoods such as Makiki, Kahala, Kakaako, Aiea, Waikele,
Waipio Gentry, Mililani offer shopping, dining, transportation without having to contend with
the traffic and parking issues that is the daily part of Waikiki life.
Let me know your email and i can show you some samples of what's available in these
nearby neighborhoods. Chris / a2z@usa.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 3, 2011
Hi Amy,

Echoing what Big Rick said, Waikiki is the hot spot for nightlife and restaurants. If you are able to live on a higher floor, away from the main streets, such as Kalakaua, Kuhio and Ala Moana, you can have great views, and numerous restaurants within 1/4 mile of you. The highest density of apartments is toward the Ewa side (towards Ala Moana Mall). You can search for Hobron Lane to find the center of it. That gets you to town easily, only 2 miles to downtown. Waikiki is very noisy, sirens, construction, partyers at 3 in the morning, etc.

The corridor going down Kapiolani Blvd is also popular. Makiki is close to town, less expensive and also close to the University. As you extend east and west from the city center, there is more traffic due to commuters.

As you may know, single family homes close to town start at around $600,000, often single people choose a studio starting out, on a month to lease, while they figure out what they want to do.

Lastly, public transportation is excellent here. Just look up "TheBus" for schedules and routes. I ride it every week. It all comes down to personal preference, budget, and distance. Even if you decide to live 10 miles away from town, the bus will get you there almost as quickly as driving in most cases.

Frank Diaz
(RA) MBA, e-PRO, REALTOR®
East Oahu Realty
808.791.2277 direct
Web Reference: http://hawaiihome.biz/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 3, 2011
Aloha. You have a few options. There's Waikiki, of course, which is nothing but condos and many restaurants and such on your doorstep as well as the beach, but you'd have to also embrace the tourist element that pervades the area. Some folks prefer to not be in the thick of it - personal preference.

Then there's Makiki, which is also mainly condos and while not on the beach, it's not terribly far. The buses run through it frequently and it's a short ride to the Ala Moana mall. However, it can get noisy and not everyone likes the compact feel of the neighborhood.

The Ala Moana area itself has plenty of condos and the mall is right there, in addition to other shopping such as the nearby Ward complex. Again, it might be too 'busy' for some but for others it's logistically perfect. The beach park there is very nice and expansive. You could also consider the string of condo buildings that stretch long Kapiolani Blvd from Ala Moana west.

The downtown / Chinatown area also has plenty of condos for young professionals and, while the shopping is at a minimum, has some nice restaurants and bars and is continuing through a well-received revitalization.

Kaimuki might be another option as it's generally quieter but still has some very nice restaurants and boutique shops, but it's mainly single family homes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 3, 2011