Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Becca, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

What are some of the more popular areas in Tampa for single, young professionals to live?

Asked by Becca, Chicago, IL Sun Aug 28, 2011

I have an opportunity to move to Tampa for a promotion, and I was wondering what areas of the city are popular with young professionals? I'm a 26 year-old female, and I prefer to live close to the city where there's always plenty to do. I don't necessarily want to live in a 'college' area, but I'd like to be close to nice restaurants and places to shop.

I work out of a home office, so commuting isn't an issue for me. I also want to continue living in a condo. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Answers

12
Hello Becca,

Congrats on your new opportunity. S. Tampa, Channelside and Harbour Island are without a doubt the most desirable places in Tampa for someone your/our age to live. I live and work in S.Tampa and enjoy it greatly. S. Tampa has restaurants second to none and also provides great shopping. Another great aspect is everything is in walking/biking or a short cab ride away. I am very confident that you would enjoy the lifestyle over all other areas in Tampa. Cut and Copy the two links below. These are two different condos they I currently have for sale. I picked them for you because you mentioned you work from home so I figured you could use an extra bedroom for your home office. Both of these condos are 2 bed and 2.5 baths. Both are in the heart of S. Tampa close to all the action for someone our age.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3003755513-2918-W-Gandy-Blvd-…

http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/Tampa/sold/1313959-3015-…

Feel free to contact me directly to talk further. I would be more than happy to set you up with auto e-mail alerts of new condos that come on the market in the areas you desire. It makes the searching process much easier and fun. Everyday you will get the newest condo listings sent directly to your e-mail inbox.

Craig A. Kincheloe, P.A.
Keller Williams Tampa Properties
Phone: 813-641-4046
Text: 813-300-4505
E-Mail: Craig@TampaRealEstateAdvisors.com
Hi Becca,

Congratulations on your potential promotion and move to Tampa. I used to live in Chicago myself and love your city (although ours is a bit warmer in the winter!).

There are some great areas in Tampa that I think you might enjoy. They are also great for the condo lifestyle. All of these are close to the downtown area of Tampa - and in fact, downtown is also becoming a popular area with some newer, urban condo communities. Areas that you may likely prefer in addition to downtown are: Channelside, SoHo, Harbour Island, Davis Island, and Hyde Park.

I'm happy to assist you and forward you sample listings. visit my website at http://www.KimKnowsTampaHomes.com

I look forward to being of service.

Kim Roberts
Realtor - Keller Williams
813-728-3333
kim@KimKnowsHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 28, 2011
Hi! South Tampa most definitely would be ideal. Westchase in north Tampa would be a consideration for you as well.

South Tampa would have more shopping restaurants and closer to downtown ans airport. Call me any time with questions. I'm a Floridian and have lived in Tampa going on sixteen years. Hope this was helpful. Rhonda Cannon, Exit Bayshore Realty. 813 624 4455
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 28, 2011
Hello Becca!

Let's see: Close to the city, where there's always plenty to do, close to night restaurants and places to shop, and a "condo"...

My suggestions: Channelside, or South Tampa.

I'll be happy to help you find the right condo.

Jenn.
As licensed agents, it is difficult to suggest in area for you to consider as a place to live. Tampa offers a broad spectrum of activities from professional sports to large outside events.

Your best resource is a site called City-Data.com. This is a website consisting of demographics, forums with comments from people that live in the Tampa area. You can search by zip code and see the most recent trends, sales and composition of that particular area.

You could post a similar question and receive feedback or you could search through the many posts and read the responses. This source would provide you with a good overview.
Hi Becca,
I grew up in Chicago, and understand what you're looking for. It's not going to be anything like Chicago anywhere in the Tampa Bay area. Since a commute isn't a real issue for you. Downtown St Pete. or close to it is going to fit your desires better. It's more cosmopolitan than Tampa, but still has easy access to the places in Tampa you
Hi Becca,

Many good answers below.

I agree with Channelside (Harbour Island is very exclusive), Hyde Park Village area, SoHo and Westchase Westpark Village (33626).

If you want to buy a condo, you have to be aware that lending guidelines have gotten strict and many condos are not eligible for financing for may require a significant down payments. Some condo complexes are still on the "approved" list but the majority are not. You may be able to find a credit union to do a mortgage but most "conventional" type of financing is difficult without a significant down payment.

You're welcome to browse "like a Realtor" by signing up for a free ListingBook account on my website:

http://www.SoldOnTampa.com

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty
813.244.9898
I'm not sure what your price point would be, or if you intend to buy or rent, but you may want to check into Skypoint in downtown Tampa or the Towers of Channelside. These are 2 of the most popular though there are many others. You can also look in the South Howard or "Soho" district, but there are not as many condo's available in that area as there are in Dowtown/Channelside. I've assisted many buyers in purchasing downtown condo's as well as finding rentals. Let me know if you would like a list of what's available.
As Craig, Lois and Bill mention; South Tampa, including Westshore and Hyde Park and the Channelside/Harbour Island areas are were you probably will want to end up living. Nothing in the metro Tampa Bay area will compare to the downtown Chicago lifestyle, but we try in our own laid back warm weather way! Best of luck in your move and promotion!
New Tampa zip code 33647 or Citrus Park zip code 33626 are for the young yuppies with degrees. Go to my website at http://dbarnes.tamparelocationservices.com/ and sign up so you can get on my MLS to find the most up to date listings. The go to my housing trends website at http://diannebarnes.housingtrendsnewsletter.com/ to fnd out about the different neighborhoods and the type of people that live there.
Becca,

Congrats on the Promotion!! My wife Lois and I came down here in 2003 from growing up and living in Chicago. As the realtor below stated, Tampa is not a Chicago, but it is getting better. My recommendation is the Hyde Park area of South Tampa or the Westshore Area of South Tampa, especially since you are working in Tampa. Commuting is not one of the TampaBay's strong points, so the closer you can be to your job the better. The South Tampa area is about a 30 Minute drive to the Beaches. Both the Westshore and Hyde Park areas have very good restaurants and hangouts for young people. give us a call. We would be happy to work with you.

Bill Szydlowski
Future Home Realty
813-323-4443
Web Reference: http://www.tampamyhome.com
Hi Becca,
Congratulations on the possible promotion! Tampa is a fun place to be, especially because you have many options for living. Tampa isn't quite like Chicago, though, which I'm sure you're expecting. The actual downtown portion of Tampa is very business like, and not quite the "happening" spot for living.
One option that was already mentioned is South Tampa. There's a few different areas to live within walking distance for shopping and dining. Also, Rocky Point condos and apartments are another option because they are within a very close driving distance to major shopping and dining. St. Petersburg is a third, which is a quick 20-30 minute commute from Tampa, but definitely has a lot of fun things for young people going on.
If you have any questions, I would love to help you out and send you some more information about the area.
Thanks and good luck!
Mercedes Ofalt
Century 21 Weinert Realty
Safety Harbo, FL
mercedeso@c21weinert.com