Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Unknowingly, Home Buyer in New York, NY

What are some of the better, safer areas?

Asked by Unknowingly, New York, NY Tue Aug 4, 2009

In Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Harlem. There's some stereotypes that Harlem is a bad area, but I've been told there are lots of safer areas of Harlem. Harlem is very convenient for my family, but I'm hesitant as I have 2 children attending schools in Manhattan and I'm not sure whether it's a good neighborhood to bring them up in. I've had a misguided opinion that Harlem is a bad area for a long time, and never have really looked for homes there. Also, what are some of the better neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, and Bronx?

Answers

4
I caution everyone that answering this question - and asking it - borders on violating our New York State and City laws against discrimination in housing. Commenting in this manner can be equated with "steering" and "red lining" neighborhoods.
As persons have previously recommended, if you wish to learn more about neighborhoods, do some good old "Google" research into past New York Times, New York Magazine, Crain's Business Week, The Real Deal Magazine articles (among others) so you can get a sense of what our diverse neighborhoods can offer.
Good luck in your search.
Web Reference: http://www.mpetersesq.com
Hi Unknowingly,

I have moved many first time home buyers to Harlem over the last several years. Harlem is a big place, East and West and has many exciting opportunities! There are many new developments as well as condo conversions, not to mention HDFC homes!

I would encourage you to work with an agent familiar with Harlem to take you around to see what is available.

Most of my buyers moved there and were new to the area because of affordability and a higher quality of life.

Hello Unknowingly, I think you should read this Sunday's (8/9/2009) NY Times Real Estate section, there is a great article on Astor Row, located in Central Harlem. This article will probably answer many of your questions.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
Hi unknowingly,

Your view on areas and neighborhoods is refreshing. It is best to suspend judgment on an area, if you are not familiar with the area. Some tend to let their preconceptions or groundless suppositions govern their choice in neighborhood at a significant disadvantage to them.

I myself am not particularly familiar with the areas you mention since I am an agent in New Jersey. However, I have handled many referrals to those areas and have always used Christopher Preto. He is knowledgeable, professional, and a pleasure to work with. I suggest you give him a call. His number is 646-879-6413.

Best

Artyom and Natasha
Rogov Team
(908)216-5066
rogovteam@gmail.com
Remax Central