Home Buying in Rutherford>Question Details

psc032802, Home Owner in 90210

What are some ideal NJ towns for my family?

Asked by psc032802, 90210 Sat Jun 29, 2013

I am looking to move my small family of three including a 1 yr old next spring. Requirements are the following:

- Up to 60 min commute into lower to mid manhattan using public transport. If we manage to find jobs in NJ, great but I'm assuming our jobs could be located there since we're in the finance industry.
- Good to excellent schools
- Price of up to $500k
- single family with 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, 1500 sq ft minimum
- Decent back yard space for a patio and some grass
- Garage or a driveway at a minimum
- Central heating and air
- Some diversity in the town and schools...perhaps to 10 to 25% minorities

Some online research has led me to rutherford, cranford, westfield. What else could i consider? The closer the manhattan the better...

Thanks.

Answers

12
Lillian Carter’s answer
All good answers, but have you considered to ask a question about flooding? Bergen County in NJ floods and during Sandy there was water in places were nobody has seen water before. Think Orangeburg and Pearl River in NY. Rule out most of South Bergen County. Yes I get into the City after a seriously short drive, but I also get water in my basement. As to the schools I cannot think of any good ones. My best bet is to visit http://www.greatschools.org and take it from there. You can type a county and state and then filter the grades you need and preference as to public or private school. Aim for schools that are graded 8 and above (you can also see ethnic make up of the schools). Most towns north of Paramus in Bergen County are solid schools (I'm in South Bergen County and my daughter goes to private school since kindergarten, but the schools here suck on so many levels that we had no other option). Taxes are murder in NJ so factor that in as well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 6, 2013
PSC-

You need to drive around to different areas and see what YOU like. You are asking a question here on a Realtor site.. where Realtors answer questions.. and EVERYBODY lives in the BEST town with the BEST schools in the state. So you really need to kind of find out where you want to be and the environment.

Some towns I looked at when I moved to NJ... Marlboro, Old Bridge, Manalapan all great areas with good schools, commute to NYC at the time was what I needed too and all of these towns were good. I settled on East Brunswick, easy commute to NYC and one of the BEST school districts in the state! :) 10 minutes to Rutgers and 30 to Princeton. Commute to NYC is 50-60 minutes depending upon the time you go in...

As an expert in Middlesex and Monmouth counties real estate I can show you what is available and help you find you new home. Call or email and I can send you some homes to look at and we can get started!

John Sacktig
Broker/Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 30, 2013
Just an outside the box thought is Nanuet, NY where the PATH train or buses are easily available. Pearl River is one stop closer to the city, but mentioning diversity check out the Nanuet School system ratings as I have lived here for 25 years and my children attended those schools as well. Great area & get in touch with me if you should decide to at least look at that option(allan.erps@randrealty.com). Best of Luck, Allan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 30, 2013
Hello and welcome to NJ soon enough. There are lots of greats towns that are commuting towns to NYC.

You mentioned Cranford, Westfield they are great. I would suggest New Providence, Gillette, Summit and Morristown. All these options are great for commuting people. Most of the people in these areas take trains to NYC. Most have a train going in.

Please contact me if you have any questions. I have experience in all those areas and more. I would love to help you find a home here in NJ.

Thank you.

Melissa Silva
201-527-7313
Realestate.mel.s@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 29, 2013
Hello PSC,

There are a lot of wonderful communities in the Bergen, Essex, and Hudson County that would be a perfect fit for you and your family. If you still haven't found a town that seems right for you let me know and I'd love to compile a personalize list of properties that might suit your needs!
As someone who spent almost 10 years in Los Angeles, I just want to say the Mass Transportation System in NJ/NY can not be compared to LA. I worked in Commercial Production when I lived on the West Side (Venice, Santa Monica , Culver City). I drove all over LA to various locations. I was always amazed at how bad the bus system worked. The Subway really did not offer many options either. No matter where you eventually end up, the NY commute will be no problem. Prior to moving to LA , I worked in the Financial District. Across the street from the Federal Reserve on Williams Street. The commute from Rutherford was two stops to Hoboken and the PATH train into the City. Not even enough time to get through the Sports Section. If a Short Commute is what you are looking for, Rutherford or some of the surrounding areas would be an excellent choice.
There are plenty of places that would fit your needs. Like one of the other Realtors said, you might want to drive around and see for yourself. I do not know your situation, so that might not be an option. If there is anything I can do to help, feel free to give me a call / email. I look forward to the opportunity of working with you.
Justin
remaxjustin@gmail.com
C-201.250.4680

If you go to the Community Section of my website, you will find links to NJ Department of Education as well as the "School Report Cards". I hope that information helps.

http://www.justinsmith.remax-nj.com/
Hi

I can help you in Rutherford and would add Nutley, Fairlawn, Glen Ridge, Ridgewood, Ceder Grove, Verona, Montclair, Glen Rock to that list

Contact me or a free no obligation Home buying guide

Best Wishes.
Hi

Best Wishes.
Rutherford is a perfect commuter town. Solid school system and a quick train or by ride to NYC. Feel free to contact me sonI can sen you more information !
Remaxjustin@mail.com
I would recommend the South Bergen are for a very easy and convenient commute to NYC. I would love to be able to meet with you at my office, sit down and go over your requirements and show you what is available in your price range.
I strongly recommend if you haven't already to get pre approved. This will help narrow down your search on how much home you can afford to by.
Please let me know if you would like to get together to discuss your needs. You can email me at lbloomer001@aol.com
Hi PSC, Thanks for reaching out here. Monmouth County NJ and Middlesex County NJ are very family oriented with many options for commuting to NYC that includes buses,trains and ferries. Your budget is in line with homes in these areas as well as taxes. Schools are some of the best in the country. You can contact me on my mobile at 718-344-7862 anytime or visit my website at baskinahome.com to do a search. I am very happy to put together some listings and email them to you. Let me know what your contact information is and I will get that to you right away.
Angela Baskin
718-344-7862
How about Springfield, Mountainside,Scotch Plains,Fanwood, Chatham, Madison, Morristown, Millburn,Maplewood,or South Orange.