Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Shawn Castle…, Home Buyer in Lithonia, GA

What are some great areas in the metro Atlanta area that will not have horrible commutes to Buckhead area?

Asked by Shawn Castleberry, Lithonia, GA Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

12
Hello Shawn--
I will let you in on an Atlanta secret--- many of us have commutes of 20 minutes or less. If you will be working in Buckhead, I would recommend that you check out the numerous wonderful ITP neighborhoods. Atlanta has a pretty clear distinction between people who live ITP-- inside the I285 perimeter-- and those who choose to live outside the perimeter--OTP-- many of whom have commutes of an hour or more.

From the lofts of Castleberry Point to the bungalows of Decatur to the elegant townhomes of Buckhead, there is an intown neighborhood for every price point and every preferred lifestyle.

For me personally, I can't imagine what torture it would be to spend two hours a day in my car-- not to mention the time lost that I could be spending having fun!

There are homes in every price range in town. It is true that you will not get as much house for the money as you would in the suburbs, and that is why many people choose that famous commute.

There is another huge advantage to living inside the perimeter: access to art museums, theater, world-class music, fabulous restaurants, and major sports venues.

I was just talking to an agent who lives and sells in Alpharetta. Yes, the houses and lots are beautiful there. But she told me that her family really has to plan ahead to come to a Braves game, for example. It's pretty much a day trip if you live way up there!

As a 5th generation Atlanta native, I would be delighted to help you find the perfect intown home. Feel free to give me a call, or visit my web site.

Sherrie Crow
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
404-790-8184
Web Reference: http://SherrieCrow.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
When looking in areas, what is most important to you? Just the travel to Buckhead? Are school systems important? Do you want a single family home or are you looking for a condo/townhome? This is a pretty open ended question and having a conversation with a Buyer's Agent would benefit you. A 30 minute consultation could help you save hours down the line. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about purchasing in Metro Atlanta,

Sarah Moore
The Live in Atlanta GA Team
KW Midtown
678-641-7925
sarah@liveinatlantaga.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
Hi Shawn,

So various agents have given you "thier" opinion of a great area - has that been at all helpful to you?

There are 50 places I could say are great areas for an easier commute to Buckhead (than many other great areas) - but I am sure there are other equal or even more important criteria once you really look at it.

Without knowing your important wants and needs...what is important to you as an individual, what kind of neighborhood do you prefer, what kind of property, your lifestyle needs/preferences, family status (single vs married w kids etc), and other criteria to assure a sound investment, giving you names of "great areas" is pointless - like throwing darts at a greater Atlanta area neighborhood map with your eyes closed. For example, some areas offer highrise condos only, some areas have older historic SF homes, some have low crime, high crime, some have great schools, many more have schools that are really poor performers, etc etc - just some examples.

If you are serious about getting meaningful options specifically taylored to your unique needs and situation, reach out to me for a phone consult.

I would be happy to provide meaningful and actionable information that will spare you the hassle of going up a lot of deadend alleys, or worse, buying in an area you may later learn was a big mistake.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
Hi Shawn,

Have you looked into Brookhaven that would be my recommendation. it's a fabulous place to live and your commute will be a breeze. Please contract me with any questions.
I specialize and live in this area.

Thank you
Inna Eidelman
404-932-3330
inna@muffleyhomes.com
I think Smyrna is a really good option. Rush hour doesn't get bad until north of Windy Hill
What you focus on expands, so please stop thinking about commuting unless you are thinking about pleasant, efficient and productive commuting.

There are 45 neighborhoods and 55 parks linked by the growing, slowly developing Beltline.

You must answer this question, because only you know the definition of horrible.

As far as I'm concerned there is no horrible commute to Buckhead, if you live in my neighborhoods.
Web Reference: Http://intowninsider.com
Shawn,

You post implies that you are dismissing Buckhead as a place to live. With 43 neighborhoods according to Buckhead.net, there are many options to choose from before ever leaving Buckhead. That said, you may not find what you are looking for there. I suggest you contact some of the people who respond to your question and talk to them in detail about what you are looking for.

Dave Herren
Best Atlanta Properties
404-425-4945
Hi Shawn,

My first question is - what does "great area" mean to you personally?

Reach out to me and I would be happy to point you in the right direction based not only on what your definition and preferences indicate, but also the pluses and minuses of those areas and if relevant, other areas you should consider if making a sound investment is important to you.

I have been in local real estate for 12 years and the Atlanta housing industry for over 20 years. A resident since 1970, I have lived on the north and south side and have witnessed Atlanta's growth from a regional hub to become the world class metropolitan city it is today.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
A note to Fred: I did not see your post until after I sent mine. I certainly do not mean to knock Aplharetta or any other community up 400! Who knows, Shawn may find that one of those communities will be the right place for him!
Sandy Springs, Johns Creek, Milton, Alpharetta are all wonderful. They offer relatively close commutes, great schools, wonderful communities, amenities, etc. Shawn, if you need any assistance in the search for your new home, please feel free to call me. You can also review beautiful homes for sale on my website (link below).

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663
http://fredyancy.crye-leike.com
I think that Sarah has hit it on the head - what is more important to you - the travel time to Buckhead or something else (school, church, recreation,etc.)? Another thing to also consider is your price point, or how much you want to pay for your new home. This can also help determine what parts of town to focus on so you get the right house, at the right price, AND the least amount of travel time. Make sense?
As a life-long Atlantan, I can tell you that the city has something for everyone, and a place for everyone, so narrowing down what is most important to you - price, type of house, location - will help make your search and buying process much simpler! Sound good?
Best of luck with your search. If I can assist you in any y, please do not hesitate to contact me - take care!
Chris Yates
Keller Williams Realty Peachtree Road
404.234.1764
chris.yates@kw.com
http://www.intownatlantarep.com
Twitter - @IntownATLRep
Hi Shawn,

It all depends on what your idea of a horrible commute is. Atlanta's traffic can be a bit nerve wrecking no matter what. I would say your best bet is too look on the border of the perimeter areas for the best commute. For example Sandy Springs or the Dunwoody area would most likely give you your fastest commute. However like I said it all depends on your ideal commute time (especially during rush hour), budget, schooling, and neighborhood amenities you are looking for. There are plenty of great neighborhoods, but without more information it is a bit hard to describe the best area.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me anytime.

Tyler Willis, REALTOR®
Keller Williams Realty Intown Atlanta
621 North Ave NE, Suite C-50
Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404)541-3500
Direct: (678)656-5524
tylerwillisintown.kwrealty.com