Home Buying in New Jersey>Question Details

SDESH005, Home Buyer in New York

What are some good NJ towns to buy a Townhouse in today w/in commuting distance to Midtown?

Asked by SDESH005, New York Wed Sep 28, 2011

We are looking for:

3BR/2BA, Basement ideal.
Garage
Community clubhouse/pool ideal
350-375K
Commute to midtown NYC no more than 1-1.5hrs

Thanks!

Answers

10
"Also, needless to mention....good schools "

Hmm.. not needless to mention at all.. I am glad you did mention that.. as there is a big difference where you look! Then, East Brunswick and Marlboro would be excellent choices. Easy commute and great schools.

I just sold a great unit in Marlboro for $339,000 4 bedroom townhouse, with basement , 2 car garage in a great area.. Marlboro schools. very good commute. Also on e in East Brunswick.. 4 bedroom patio home Townhouse.. 2 car garage, base,ement.. same price range.. even better schools..
Bridgewater, Scotch Plains, Green Brook are three towns that offer what you are looking for within your commuting requirements. If you are willing to bend a little on your housing requirements you could also look in Basking Ridge, Bedminster and Long Hill though you may not be able to get a garage and/or basement. Would be glad to assist you in your search or to answer any questions you may have about the general area.
Don Hansen
Broker/Owner
Century 21 New Beginnings Realty
908-647-2000
908-500-0116(mobile)
c21newbeg@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 28, 2011
There are some great units in East Brunswick! Send me your email and I can forward the listings to you.
Great commute by either train or bus.

Much different feel and commute from “western” NJ towns.
East Brunswick, Old Bridge, Marlboro.. Easy access to Manhattan and the Jersey shore communities. (Think about that )

Call or email!

JOHN Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 28, 2011
Hi there, I'm sending in link with some ideas for you - there are options right now in Berkeley Heights, Basking Ridge, Bedminster (low taxes!), Bridgewater, and Green Brook. Scotch Plains is another good option, but I there is nothing available today that fits the bill.

Take a look and and let me know if I can be of further service. The ones on Bonney in Bridgewater have been reduced over time. They are in a community called Crossroads with very good access to highways.

Any one of these would be good options - all community settings, ammenities will vary. Happy to provide more detail on any of interest.

http://emailrpt.gsmls.com/public/show_public_report_rpt.do?t…

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 1, 2011
Hi SDESH005,

As a former NYC midtown commuter, you might want to consider living in towns that have direct trains to NYC. There are some towns in Essex, Union, and Middlesex counties that can give you a door to door commute time to midtown within an hour to 1.5 hours. Montclair, South Orange, Maplewood, Newark, Summit, Linden, Rahway, Woodbridge and Edison have direct train stops into the city. If a bus commute is okay, there are other towns in Essex county (West Orange, Livingston) where you can take a bus directly to Port Authority with a commute time in your preferred time frame. There are townhouses available in these towns that might suit your needs.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance

Best of luck to you!
All great choices below. The northeast corridor line on NJ transit is usually one of the fastest ways to get into the city. Problem is since I'm from Raritan, I had to take the Raritan Valley which was 8 or so more stops! However, Bridgewater and Hillsborough are nice with good school systems. Westfield is a great area with a great school and commute in. East Brunswick is also a nice town, very good school. They were are rivals back in my highschool days as I went to Bridgewater-Raritan regional. Also a good school. Best of luck!
Also, needless to mention...good schools (may not get excellent ones in that price range, but good enough) are a must! :)
@Carolle -- I did look up Denville and I don't see any direct traion to midtown that is less than 75-80 minutes to Penn. Morris County seems to be too far for the commute, My office is a good 15-min walk from Penn Station so I'd need to factor that in.

Is there anything close than that, where bus/train can be in NYC within 45-50 minutes?
Please email me at jmax123@aol.com and I will reply with current listings with photos that you can browse through.

Jane
http://www.RealTerrific.com
Hi-
There are several townhome communities in Morris County that would suite you.
Denville in particular has several and Denville has a train to Mid town direct (about 45 min commute)

Please call or email me to discuss options.

Regards,Carolle Donofrio
973-960-8002
cadonof@aol.com