Home Buying in Tracy>Question Details

Darren, Home Buyer in Stockton, CA

What are some characteristics of a good buyer's agent?

Asked by Darren, Stockton, CA Sat Jun 23, 2012

Answers

10
A good buyers agent
1. Thorough knowledge of the area you are buying in
2. Full time REALTOR with atleast 1 year experience
3.patient and willing to explain the process thoroughly
4.Available for appointments
5.Return phone calls within 4-6 hours
6.has a professional relationship with REALTORS in the area, sometimes offers are accepted based on your REALTOR's reputation

Those are the first traits that cone to mind

Taj Weldon
REALTOR.
209-740-4176
DRE 01816152
Tajweldon@connectrealty.com- Serving the central valley,and Stanislaus
I make an appt ASAP.However, when the property is occupied sometimes you are at the mercy of a tenant or seller schedule.
Flag Mon Jul 16, 2012
When the buyer wants to see a property, how soon can you actually show it? Is there a set time frame, 24hrs, 48hrs? Or do you always try to make appointment ASAP?
Flag Thu Jun 28, 2012
TALL, DARK, AND HANDSOME

Sorry that's the first thing that came to mind. A good buyer's agent has the knowledge of the area or the resources and ability to acquire that knowledge. A good buyer's agent should also have a flexible schedule, but you don't want someone who has no schedule at all.

i enjoy working with buyers, especially first time buyers. You get to experience their excitement with them in the purchase of their first home. Nothing beats that.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 11, 2013
The most important characteristic for a buyer's agent or any agent for that matter is they are willing to put your interest above their own. Anyone who is paid on a commission basis is motivated to get things done quickly and maximize their commission on each transaction. This can be in direct conflict with what the client needs. Find someone who will put you first. Someone who will worry about your well being rather than their own.

The best agents understand that in the long run taking care of the client's interest is the best business practice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
I won't rehash what has already been said as I agree with Connie, Debbie, and Pam. A couple of other items to add:

Honest and won't just tell you want to hear.

Educated. Not just with the market area, but with things like real estate law as they are always changing. Technology is an important one as it has helped speed up the communication process and made many agents more efficient. For example, I have agents on my staff that can access a new listing from an iPad while in the field, call their client to meet them at the property, show the property, write up an offer from their iPad, sign the offer, and email it to their agent right from the house. Experienced in negotiation. Obviously you want someone who can get you the best deal.

Is well connected and respected in the real estate community. With such a limited amount of inventory out there right now, someone that has a large network of agents that like to work with them will often be able to find out about listing agents coming inventory and could result in getting a buyer to know about a property before it gets on the market. Timing is everything right now as houses go very fast.

Most importantly, someone that you feel comfortable working with. Everything else is irrelevant if you can stand the agent you're working with.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
A good buyer's agent should be patient and knowledgeable. A buyer's agent should be providing information about the home buying process during each phase of the transaction especially if the buyer is a first time home buyer. Good characteristics for a buyer's agent to have: a friendly personality, informative about the home buying process and local demographics, substantial information about the real estate industry and is a available by phone or e-mail to answer questions for their clients. The bottom line is the agent needs to be sincere and dedicated to helping their clients find the home they desire while at the same time protecting their best interests.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
Good listening skills!
A hustler
Experienced
Problem solver
If she/he doesn't know - works relentlessly to obtain the information
Treats the buyer's like a family member - always in their best interest
Transparent and informative
Willing to go the extra mile to ensure the right thing is done and correct decisions are made
Be a giver!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
Oh, that's easy -- - you have to really pay attention....... and listen ............................so.....................what was the question?

(a sense of humor helps, too!)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
Quick response experienced and knows the market. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
Top Ten Signs My Buyer’s Agent is not a Dinosaur!
1. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent has a comprehensive, company website with excellent content, videos and an active blog. Their real estate company also has a relevant FaceBook page.
2. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent’s website gives me easy access to the most current and up to date information about homes and condos on the market.
3. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent also has an individual website and FaceBook page.
4. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent has a cell phone and is happy to answers my calls 24/7!
5. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent knows how to text message, email, scan documents and tweet.
6. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent does not spit over his/her shoulder when I mention I use websites like Redfin, Zillow and Trulia.
7. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent is a fully licensed real estate agent who only represents Home Buyers 100% of the time, never Sellers. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent can be trusted to advise on strategy, protect my interests, preserve my confidentiality and bargain hard on your behalf on each and every house I write a contract on.
8. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent listens to my needs and concerns, is an experienced professional and has a fiduciary responsibility to point out all potential defects in all properties that I am shown.
9. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent will never put me in a Dual Agent situation where the Broker is working for both the Buyer and the Seller in the same transaction.
10. My Exclusive Buyer’s Agent can refer me to the best Listing Agent from another real estate company when I am ready to sell my property. As Exclusive Buyer’s Agent, they know from first hand experience which listing agents are professional, responsive and work hard on behalf of their sellers. BuyersAgent.com 301-657-1475
Someone who works full time in the business and who will answer their own phone when you call.