adamjohnson, Home Buyer in Waukesha, WI

What are my options if I have no buyers agent but still want to make sure someone is looking out for my best interests in an offer/counter offer?

Asked by adamjohnson, Waukesha, WI Wed Jul 3, 2013

I searched several realtor sites not expecting anything to interest me, but found an ideal new home for my family. We requested a showing (without getting a buyer's agent - I realize now that was dumb) but the listing agent gave the showing to another agent at his office. Now a few weeks later (and a second viewing) we are interested in submitting an offer to purchase, but are not comfortable with the idea of writing an offer through the seller's agent. Do I have any options left to get someone else to represent us who would have our best interests in mind?

Answers

4
Agree with Annette that the listing agent showed an exceptional amount of integrity, although the buyer's agent she recommended is more than likely paying a referral fee of some sort. Or they are part of team designed to represent both sides of the transaction and make it appear to be fair. It's not.

I recommend that you eat crow and tell the listing agent you want independent representation. Hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent in your area to represent you. They will know how to handle it. Go to http://www.naeba.org for a referral.

I have buyers approach me all the time with this dilemma. My first call is always to the listing agent to learn about their relationship with the buyer...I'm not in the business of stealing another agent's clients. I find almost all listing agents understand this and will do what's best for the seller/client, which is to sell the house. If not, or if they have spent a great deal of time with the buyer, I always insist that they are compensated for their time. They can be compensated through the transaction if your deal goes through, or you can just write them a check for their time. $75-$100 is reasonable for each showing.

And you shouldn't feel badly about this. Buying a home is complicated and although 99% of Realtors are honest people with a lot of integrity, we are all working within a system that is flawed and that favors sellers. Good for you for knowing that you are entitled to proper, independent representation.

Donna and Chris have provided good guidance.
They failed to mention the listing agent demonstrated EXCEPTIONAL integrity by referring you to another agent in the office. Be very aware, all agents in the same office do compete with each other. The agent you use will defend and promote the position most benificial to you while the listing agent will battle to keep price up and terms favorable and contingencies to a minimum.
-
You are making this way more convuluted that it needs to be.
I agree with Donna. There will be no conflict of interest in using the agent that showed you the home as your buyer's agent. Even though he/she was referred by the listing agent, they will be working in your best interest as your buyer's agent (when you are in the buyer's agency agreement with them) and the actual listing agent will work in the sellers best interest. By getting another agent involved with this particular property, who did not initially show you the home, it will create a conflict of procurement between the new agent and the agent who showed you the home originally.
Why not contact the agent that showed it to you the first time? If I understand you correctly, the listing agent never personally showed you the home, therefore the agent that did show you the home can act as your agent. You would need to sign a "buyer's agency agreement" with that agent to receive that level of service.